GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds to me like the fuel pump "bit the dust"...........

Has it been making a louder noise of late???????

GM pumps are good for that........work and then NOT........just like Chrysler!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
How did you check for power at the fuel pump? If there's no power to the fuel pump, I wouldn't worry about the pump itself until you resolve the break in the wiring. If you haven't actually put a voltmeter to it, and all you really know is that the relay is clicking but the pump isn't running, then I'd start by getting a wiring diagram and a voltmeter, and check for power to the fuel pump. If the fuel pump is getting power, then check the ground. If the fuel pump has power and ground, then the pump itself is likely dead.

Note1: My '98 has a test lead for the fuel pump near the power distribution box. If you apply power to that lead, it will power the fuel pump circuit downstream of the relay, which can allow you to see if the circuit fault is upstream or downstream of the relay.

Note2: The fuel pump circuit on these seems a little tricky. As I understand it (and I'm not sure if this is right or not), the relay is closed while starting the engine. A few seconds after the engine starts, the computer opens the relay and the fuel pump gets its power from the oil pressure sensor on the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts