GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With much fighting, I managed to get the radiator drain valve open & drained the radiator. Went ahead & did two flushes (one with flush chemical, one with just water), and now I want to more fully drain the system before putting the fresh coolant/water combo in. Where is the upper coolant system plug located (assuming there is one...)?

(I'll be getting a Haynes/Chiltons manual next week, but I'm hoping someone can help me out sooner than that...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further research, apparently it's a block drain, but I still don't know where it is...

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
There are plugs on the block to drain it, but be careful removing them, sometimes they are rusted in and will break off. You can remove the quick-connect on the passenger side of the intake and force water down that, but be careful removing the quick connect because it can break too and will be a PITA to replace. It might be just as easy and safe to remove the upper and lower radiator hoses and run a hose down the upper and let if flow out the lower for a while. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might be just as easy and safe to remove the upper and lower radiator hoses and run a hose down the upper and let if flow out the lower for a while. Just a suggestion.
If I use this method, can anyone give me an approximation of how much water will be in the block, so I can account for that when I add coolant and get the right overall mixture?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts