GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having an issue with my electrical. when I go to stop and apply the brakes, my brake lights do not come on and my blinkers flash fast. with that being said, if I go to stop and apply the brakes without the turn signal, they work fine. If I use the turn signal without applying the brakes, they work fine. Im sure its a crossed wire but i have no idea where. The motor isnt the original for the truck nor is the bed. So basically whoever swapped it before i got it, was a real dumbass and screwed up alot of things, is there a diagram or does anyone know of way to fix this issue?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I had already got a new flasher relay and made sure it was good, ill look into a wiring diagram after work and start going through the grounds. There seems to be alot of electrical problems on this bad boy. Also, is there a way to upload videos so whats happening can be seen as wel as explained?

· Registered
5,200 Posts
You can either click on the Share Button and then the Copy Link on YouTube and then paste it in your Reply or click on the Double Film Strip icon at the top of the text entry box here. The icon will ask for the URL of the video.

Ted

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am still stumped so far. I havent done much, but now my lights arent working like i had previously mentioned. My turn signals now only work correctly when my Light switch is in the off position, but still dont work when the brakes are applied. I will be digging into it real good the net couple of days if weather permits. I will also try to get a video out so yall can see what im talking about.

· Registered
5,200 Posts
Have you verified the grounds?

Ted

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello all, im gonna be working on my truck the next few days. All my bulbs are brand new and i have pulled them all to make sure that i didnt somehow blow one. But i will triple check to make sure as well as getting a diagram to make this a smooth process. I will take some pictures so yall can see what im working with, those will be here shortly.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its windy as all hell today and cold to boot, hands are freezing up to fast so i wont be on it today. These are the pictures i snagged, first three are all near the driver side tail light. Lat picture is on the frame about mid way

· Registered
2,923 Posts
Wow what a hack job. All of those splices should be removed and the wires soldered and heat shrunk due to ccontamination/corrosion issues especially near the frame and rear axles. I can see where someone spliced in for a trailer and left bare wires out of the 1/2 tap connectors. Remove those 1/2 tap connectors and check the wires. If the wires are not broken too badly then I would use heat shrink tape on the connecting point that is exposed.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, thanks for calling my temporary fix a hack job haha, as for the 1/2 tap connectors, that was previous. Once my lights are working properly they will get the proper fix, until then i have to figure out whats wrong. I assume the trailer wires are the thick blue and thick orange wires?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bulbs are good. I was trying to upload videos, but im not sure how. I dont know how to get a url. But until then, When my Light switch is in the off position, my turn signals work normally. When my Light switch is in the dimmer mode, my front lights work normally, my back lights dont work and my turn signals blink fast. When my Light switch is in the ON position, my front lights work normally, my back lights dont work, and my turn signals blink fast. When i apply the brake in any position, the turn signals blink fast, but if i dont have the turn signals on, my brake light works normal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.