GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I just bought this truck off a good buddy of mine. He's had it for a couple of years and has put a tonne of work into it. It's recently ticked him off with what I believe to be simple fixes or at least worth fixen and he has moved on to a dodge...

It has the 5.7 vortec, its rwd, has a g80, I can't remember the Kms or the rest of the details of this truck. I dont have it here yet, but should be getting it this week, it has to be flatbeded over.

There's a clunk coming from the tranny when going from drive to reverse and vise versa. Its not the u joints, all 4 are moog and new, the Carrier bearing is also new. He thinks the tranny is toast. I think the slip yoke just needs to be lubed up. Apparently this is quite common.

I think there is also a few other things that need to be done to this truck but I believe it to be worth it. Heck I bought the truck for $300 and I know everything he's done to it. He says the truck dosent owe him anything... He's right but I still see all the potential... more details to come when I know more...

Have a good night all!

Al

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS man! I just couldn't talk him out of it. I tried diagnosing it somewhat over the phone and he just didn't care... He was dead set on a new truck. Some of the stuff he's done besides what I've already said are...

Complete new brake lines all around as well as the brakes and everything else that goes with it.
New wheel bearings.
New dist. Plugs n wires, all filters and fluids all around.
Brand spanking new wiper motor.
Door handles all around.
New tailgate of a southern U.S. truck, it says chevy though. Lol. All good for a perfect tailgate.
New tailgate locking mechanisms.
New tires last year.
There are more things he's done that I'm forgetting...
I couldn't talk him outta it and I couldn't let it go to scrap. Not at that price... a bit more than the scrap value.

Cheers!
Al

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,981 Posts
Nice score, Al!

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS Greg and THANKS Kenny, I've posted about this truck on here before. I should also say that my wife is "kinda" happy, she thinks my burb is hers. hmmm well I don't know about that but she can use it. LOL we've been looking for a second vehicle in our price range for her that can fit our 6 kids. Shes been saying all along that she wants the burb and I can find something else. Well I think this will work out just fine.

Al

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Kenny, since this truck is practically identical to yours I'm sure I'm guna get all kinds of advice from you. Hey THANKS man! Haha. Since this truck is a 98 I can easily get a tuner for it. :) It won't be a kid hauler, I've got some subs and an amp......

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Yea. Al. a tune is a grate help on the trans, for sure, and will add a little power also. A set of headers, true dual exhaust, with a set of old school glass packs, and it will sound grate too. Take the throttle body off and shave off the diffuser plate on the under side of the throttle plate, and your throttle response will improve dramatically. If you dont want to invest in a tuner, Black bear tune will do a custom tune for you, on a mail order ECM for about the same price as a programmer, but the custom tune is much more effective. Here is a video on the throttle blade mod.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
You can also remove the box that says Vortec on it behind the Throttle body supply tube, and cap off the hole with a plastic snuff can. This gives a straight flow of air at WOT. A cold air filter will also help a little at WOT.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Kenny! I really appreciate all the info. I'm pretty excited!

So is it just me or my new phone but I can no longer see any videos on here... I was trying to post a video the other day, fought with it for a while and then gave up. Then I noticed I couldn't see any videos on here. Is it just my phone? I haven't tried from my computer but I can use YT no problem, just not thought gmtc? Hmm

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Have you pulled the battery out of your phone Al. If not pull it for about 60 sec. This will reset the phone, and may fix your issue.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I don't think it's my phone, when I request the desktop version the video is there and I can view it fine from my phone. Hmmmmmm. Anyways.... talk about simple! wth haven't I done that to the burb? LOL

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Nice truck, Al. Deals like that only come around once in a blue moon. And don't you have a tranny sittin' in the shop?

If you're gonna get a tuner I can recommend the Diablo inTune 2030. You can buy another license and tune the 'burb, too.

Ted

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I have to agree with Ted. I wish I had spent another $100 and got the laptop version of mine. The hand held tunner is ok, but I could have done a lot more with the CD version, and Jet says you can do upto 4 tunes on there's. Another words, 4 different vehicles on Jets program. I would have turned off the rear 02 sensors, and the EGR. You can't do that with a hand held tunner. I have 3 settings. Regular, middle and premium. And then I can adjust the speed limiter, the tire size for the speedo, rev limiter and shift points. Mine also will reset CEL and do live time sensor reads. The CD version will do all this and a lot more. Also my hand held will only do 1 vehicle. It is locked to my truck. To do another truck, I would have to set my truck back to factory settings. Then I could tune another truck, but then it will be locked to that truck. When I bought mine, Jet was the only one I could find that would do my truck. No other brand would do a truck that old.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THANKS Ted, I know eh. That's what good friends are all about. He first asked to park it here until I asked if he wanted to sell it and got the ball rolling. Oh yes I know how much of a great deal this is. The tranny I have here is for a 4x4... if this tranny needs rebuilt it won't happen until next year but when that time comes I will pull it and take it to the same shop that treated me so well with the burb. I may not go stage 3 HD, it all depends on the price...

The problem with tuners and the 97 is the computer, jet may still be the only one or the best one for a 97. But 98 has a different computer that is compatible with a lot more tuners. I spent a bunch of time before trying to find one for the burb, and a bunch more last night looking for the Sierra. I will get one for the Sierra eventually. And maybe upgrade the ecm in the burb so it can easily be done as well.

THANKS again guys! Greatly appreciated. I priced a couple trailer to pull er home but my boss has a car hauler he just bought, I just don't think he has it yet... I go in for the afternoon shift today so I'll bug him when I get there. :)

CHEERS!

Al

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I don't have er yet but I went and seen it and talked to my buddy. He dosent want to drive it because he says that the truck suddenly jerks left n right. He hasn't really looked into the cause but had someone else take a quick look with no intention to fix it. He says the steering box is shot, the guy that looked at it pulled a gasket off of it. I'm not familiar with these n didn't take a look myself. He also said it needs a ball joint badly, I think he said lower. my buddy is working on getting a car hauler so he can pull it out to me.

Well I think that's about it as far as updates go... so my list so far as I know it is...

Steering box, ball joints, lube up slip yoke n cross my fingers that thats it. Haha.

Cheers n have a good one guys!

Al

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Al. you say the truck is jerking left and right ? This sounds like the EVO sensor is bad. The sensor is on the steering column. If this sensor goes bad, it will make the truck steering wheel jerk randomly. Here is a video.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts