GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, got a question for ya. I did some peeking around this site and others and could not find a definitive answer so here goes.

I've got a 98 2WD Suburban with stock suspension/wheels/tires. I'm looking at upgrading all 3. I'm leaning towards a somewhat less aggressive setup. Fabtech has got a 4" suspension lift that looks just about right for my tastes (link below). The only issue I have is that in the footnotes it says that aftermarket wheels must only have a maximum backspacing of 3.75".

Now, I'm by far no expert on these things, but that doesn't seem to leave me with many options for wheels. Which in turn will limit my choices in tires. The only size wheels(regardless of brand) that has 3.75" backspacing are 15's(that I can locate). I was hoping to upgrade to 16 or 17's with 32 or 33's.

Can anyone explain to me why the backspacing limitation? It seems I would have alot more room under the fenderwell for larger rims/tires. Also, does my non-descriptive setup seem ok or am I way off in left field here??

Lift Kit:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=1906&t_pn=FABKIT150

Thanks guys!! Greg

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
thats weird I have never heard of a lift having a maximum backspacing allowed but you may want to call them and ask. it also may be a typo on the part of 4wheelparts. Fabtech makes good stuff and it will look great with your truck. as for wheels its all your preference and what you can find but I would suggest mickey thompson classic II or american racing baja (I just like the look of both of these). as for tires im guessing your looking for a decent all terrain so I would suggest a BFG AT, Dick cepek FCII or Nitto terra grapplers

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming fabtech is closed at this hour so it will have to wait until Monday to get clarification. I don't think it is 4wheelparts misprint. I went to fabtech's site and it said the exact same thing. I'm assuming it's accurate as upon closer inspection behind my front wheels it does appear crowded.

I had looked at the wheels you mentioned before but I brought them up again and brought my son in (11 YO) to look at them and let him decide. He chose the MT Classic II. I like his choice. I am letting him have alot of input with all the upgrades as I think I will hand the keys to him somtime in the future ( he doesn't know it yet). I've got 5 years until he can drive and with me being Military it will more than likely take me every bit of that to get it where we like it.

BTW, I do like the BFG AT/KO's. Aggressive look, decent price, good performance.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
yea id understand if they said there was a minumum backspacing of 3.75" as in it has to be more than that, but its weird that they want 3.75" or below... actually i bet it may have something to do with the spindles since it is a spindle lift... let us know what they say

1 - 4 of 4 Posts