GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably should have searched the forum before asking, but does anyone have any experience with cryo treated rotors? I just bought a pair from an online retailer who has served me well in the past. I had just put on some "cheapos" from the Zone (with a two year warranty) a few months ago and then hauled a heavy boat. Warped 'em in no time flat. I hope the cryo treated ones will hold up better. They're supposed to.

Second question... my headlight enclosures are clouded. Any recommendations on replacements? Or who is a reliable provider of aftermarket housings? I was considering some projector style ones from Anzo.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing, since this is my start on the forum. I've had my ride for 18 months now and can't seem to get better than 15 mpg out of it. Any suggestions for improving my fuel economy? Does an aftermarket intake like K&N help any? Thanks.

It's a 1999 GMC 5.7l 4x4.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Sorry can’t help with the crio stuff, but keep us posted. I would love to get a first hand info from a forum member on the treatment and the longevity.

It’s supposed to make things smoother, less wear. Not sure that is a good thing for brakes but I am curious.

I hope we are talking about the same thing. When they freeze things to absolute zero?

As far as your mileage goes a lot of members have done everything from module reprogramming to the K&N filters with varying results.

Your mileage sounds about average, my Burb doesn’t get much better around 17 on the highway. It all depends on how you drive. Put a rotten egg on the gas pedal and drive with that and you might get better mileage. Or you might get a smelly truck.

Just kidding but drive like you have one on there and your mileage will improve.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
:sign0016:
Tires that are larger than 3% over the stock size can really overwork the brakes. If you are running larger tires you can check the % difference at 1010tires.com For the headlights check out JC Whitney. Follow the link in the sponsor area for gmtc special values. I don't have experience with cryo rotors, but from what I've seen on the discovery channel they should perform better. Check out more info at metal-wear.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
84fiero123, we are talking about the same thing on the brakes. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. I should have them to install tomorrow.

I'm running the recommended tire size, so that shouldn't influence it much. It's more the towing that creates the warping problems. It surprised me that with a "heavy duty" vehicle like a 'burban (at least they want you to think it is) that the brakes aren't built for handling the extra load. I guess they can't anticipate everything.

I'll check out the JC Whitney stuff. Some of the things they sell seem a bit hokey. Vortex fuel savers, ion chargers, etc. I'm concerned with the quality I get on everything, but particularly headlight enclosures since there are so many cheap ones available on ebay and other places.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts