GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there I have a 99 gmc k1509 5.7 I went out started my truck let it run for bout 20 minutes since it's -3 outside I drove it all way to town bout 16 miles rode fine no issues started coming home got bout 5 miles from my house truck just shut off so I pulled over tried to restart it acted like the battery was dead so had my paps come jump me and after bout ten minutes didn't do nothing just a lil bumb that's it towed it home put new battery in it got the alternator and started teased they came out good so tried it again did the same thing battery gauge said batter was drained hooked it up to the charger for bout 2 hours tried to roll it over rolled over for bout 5 seconds and acted like it was dead again and sometimes it will roll over slowly and sometimes it won't roll over at all and ideas I'm stumped

·
Registered
674 Posts
How did the oil pressure look before it locked? By some mirical I've seen people dump some marvel mystery oil down each cylinder and let it sit for a few days then crank it over with the plugs out and it freed up the motor. usually the bores and rings get messed up pretty bad but you never know. Maybe the engine over heated?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Also check your oil maybe coolant mixed with it from a bad headgasket and caused the lock-up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil pressure was good and no oil in my coolant and or coolant in my oil my oil was a little black but just drained it no metal shavings seems fine I pulled plugs and tried it still nothing it's just weird how it all of a sudden shut off made no noise no knocking nothing just up and quit going down the road

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that's another problem I had with it wouldn't really heat up going down the road I put new radiator and thermostat in still wouldn't really heat up so I figured since I had a 6 suspension lift on it and a 3 inch body that it being pretty open under the hood that cold air was getting in there and not allowing it to heat up since it's only 10 degrees here

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe its not the engine that's locked up. could be something with the transmission. It doesn't seems like there's any reason for the motor to have locked up. Unless that oil in it was really thin and in need of change then maybe. I suppose it isn't likely cause you probably would of heard the belt but maybe a pulley(s) locked.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took pan off and nothing's seems to be bad about it, it all looks good no scratches or anything on the cylinders walls no broken rods or pistons seems good and the pulleys are good that's one of the first things I thought of I even left the belt off and the oil wasn't to thin at all I'm stumped on this one and the transmission would cause the engine to freeze up like that? Cause the other day I did notice from 1 to 2 kinda seemed to be shifting a little funny all of a sudden !!

·
Registered
674 Posts
If the input shaft seized on the transmission or something internal thar affects the input shaft causing it to seize it may be locking the engine. Or the torque converter could be messed up. Its weird how everything happened. I would have expected engine noise or something. But maybe other people will have a better idea.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a question the truck I'm having problems with is a 99 gmc k1500 5.7 vortex it ended up being the crank bearings it chewed up my crank pretty good well here's the question I have a 93 Chevy gmc with the 5.7 but it's carburated so I was wondering if I could take the heads and intake off the 99 and put them on the 93 block and use it in my 99 and have it bolt up to my 99 transmission it has the 4l60 or whatever in it also the 93 is 2wd and my 99 is 4x4 please let me know all info that would need to be done to make this happen thank you

·
Registered
674 Posts
I belive that the transmission will bolt up the same. Its the same block. And the heads should bolt up to the 93 block. I know a lot of people that take vortec heads and use them on older 350 blocks for more power with a carburator. Just make sure that you have the heads machined flat to take any warping out of them. Also make sure you use new head bolts too. You may also have to use your 99 engine mounts on the 93 block. (I could be wrong though). Im also not %100 sure but you may possably need to use a different pilot bearing in the crankshaft but id look into that. GM didn't really change those much through the years. Also someone else may know more, but id make sure the distributor from the 99 will still work properly in the 93 block. I think it will work fine but its something to look into. The 350 blocks didnt really change much from 89 to 99.

It may be worth reposting your last response as a new post in the forum for more help on the subject.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Im sure there is but im not sure of one off hand. I can check with a buddy of mine tommow if I get a hold of him. He used to build and machine GM engines for 30 years. I know he would know.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its very easy its basicaly just changing out one style for another. You dont have to modify the crank or anything like that. You might not even have to. But they do make a tool for pulling them. You can borrow them from any autozone they have them in there loaner tool thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts