GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 GMC Yukon SLT with 103,598 miles wouldn't start. I had replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor about 1500 miles ago with new taylor 9mm wires, Bosch 2+ plugs, and Accell rotor and distributor. Last monday when my wife (of course my truck knows better than to stop running for me) went to start it it wouldn't start. There had been no previous indication. So i towed it home and began the diagnostics. Fuel...Check, Spark...Check, Fuel filter, Pressure...Check. OBD-II Scan...Check. The only indication of a problem was fouled out spark plugs, but I firgured that was because I had cranked it a number of times trying to find the problem. Well a week later and a $180 dealer fee later the truck is running as perfect as before. It was the distributor cap. It was shorting out and sparking 3 plugs at a time. I think it is important to note also that the amount paid was $95-diagnostic and $80-Parts. I had to buy the parts and put them on myself. Otherwise it would have been $425 for them to put a new distributor on for me... Hope this helps anyone needing to change distributor and rotor. The dealer did comment that the wires were very nice and I was able to get a refund from Summit Racing for the Distributor and the Rotor.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Wow, that's pretty wild. Arcing three plugs at once.:eek: Do you remember what brand cap, and rotor you got from Summit? It's good that they gave you a refund. I've always liked their take on customer service.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were Accel. Parts # ACC-120141 (cap) and ACC-130141. The cap looked slighlty different inside than the OEM replacement I got from the dealer. They were also heavier. I thought they would be just as good but I guess I (and the guy who wrote the add for them) was wrong. The parts cost $59.38 from summit and $72 from the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts