GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to this forum, i got a 99 yukon gmc with 127,000 miles on it, the head gasket blew out on me and i think the crank shaft, could i do this job by myself, cause it is real expensive, any body have pics to see what am i doing

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That is a major engine rebuild. I don't know what your abilities/tool assortments are, but it can be done at home. You will need a hoist to pull the engine, engine stand, etc. You will need a machine shop that can resurface the heads and possibly the block, turn the crank shaft, maybe bore the cylinders if any damage is there. It's up to you as to what you want to take on. If you do decide to, there are people here that can talk you through any problems that may arise. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what was going on with the yukon? did ya push it to hard? im not sayin ur an idiot or anything,just tryin to see what happened that caused that.how long have you had it?

anyways,ya do everything that gary said and make sure you mark everything so you know where to put everything back where it goes.take pictures also. i had to rebuild my old 94 s10 blazer (Pile of SH!T engine) but i thought that i would remember mostly where everyting went and when i put the motor back in, i forgot where things went and had to go actually to used car lots and find one the same year and take pics and look at where things went. now i got a 98tahoe 4dr. i just came across of a water leak i got,its leakin from my intake manifold where theres no gasket instead its just RTV Sealant,but to get to that area i think i gotta take the intake off to reseal it.well enuff about me hope this helps some what.

you can always take it to a auto shop instead of dealin with it. but that can be costly too.

later

:neutral:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay my situation was that it started over heating, that is when i found out it has a head gasket leak, i saw the oil was looking creamy, i let it cool off for a couple of hours then i try to start it, that is when i heard the noise, then the truck stop cranking over, i was going to let a mechanic do it, he said he will get a jasper engine , the whole job will cast almost $5,000, well the truck is just sitting in my drive way for about 3 months, collecting spider webs, it still looks good, so i was wondering if i can start taking things out piece by piece. will it be hard, is there any pics here to show me what to do. or is there another route then paying almost 5t grand to fix it. btahnks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you dont know what your doing then yes it will be hard.i dont know where you can find pics for this job,although you can go get a helpful book from your local auto store called Chiltons or Haynes.they have pics and step by step directions on rebuilding the engine.id strongly recomend getting one of those books.sounds to me like the engine ran for a while when it over heated.if it was only for a few seconds or even a min it may have been saved.but i dont know.well hope this helps you out.good luck

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If the engine won't turn over after it has heated up and you shut it off, it is probably hydro locked, meaning the cylinder is full of water. Pull out all of the spark plugs and try to turn it over again to see. If it turns over (and spits water out the spark plug hole), the bottom end of the engine may still be ok. When you blow a head gasket, it sometimes leaks water into the cylinder. If this is your problem, you can probably pull the heads and have them repaired without removing the whole engine from the truck.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I haven't done a head gasket on a 5.7 Chevy in years, maybe 10 or so, but I assume that it's all the same as it was back then. What's the projected cost on this project in today's dollars?

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
$50-$100 for gasket set and $125-$150 per head if you exchange for refurbished ones. This is assuming no other damage to the engine. Plus your new oil, plugs, antifreeze, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts