GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Looking at putting an exhaust on my 4.3 V6. I cant decide on what to do. Duals, single, etc..

Not looking at spending more than 200, I was originall going to go a 1 into 2 Dual with a Flowmaster 50 series Suv Muffler. But I think that might be to much flow and sounds like an "import" (<<JUNK)

Would it still sound good with just the muffler? Looking for a louder idle sound and a real growl when I get on it.

I was looking at Ebay specials for a while, and those are also 1 into 2, so I dont know what do get, to many options. Can you guys tell me what youre running and what would sound decent?

If I go just the muffler, what are my inlet/outlet sizes? which p/n on Flowmaster would that be?

Also, is one of those 35$ ebay cold air intake kits worth it? or not?

Programmers? I can pick up a Hypertech for 150, should I jump on it?

Thanks Guys, This is gonna be my first vehicle, I plan on doing a few things to make it my own, First post over here.

Luke

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome Luke. First off the 4.3's don't sound to bad with the 50 series flows on them. Whether you go single in, dual out or just replace the muffler, you're going to get a louder idle and when you go WOT you will deff here it. Of course it will be quietest with just a muffler replacement, then single in single out then single in dual out. Where you have it exiting plays just as of an important role in how it sounds. If it's dumped or the closer it is to you the louder it will be. If you're looking to stay under 200 bucks and I see your planning on doing some more mods later on, I might go with just a Magnaflow muffler replacement.
You will see a little more hp and tq then with the Flowmaster but it wont be as loud. A shop charges about 125 to replace stock muffler with a magnaflow and I think it's worth it. Then just find a tip that your really like and your still under budget. :great:

I'm not a big fan of the ebay Intake kits. I think it's worth savaing a little bit longer and go with a name brand that comes with a warranty. I like K&N, but there's also S&B, Airaid, Volant and a few others. You can pick them up on ebay for about 215 bucks.

Last but not least a programmer. I have a hypertech Max Energy and I love it. I saw almost 3mpg increase over stock and a huge pick up in performance. I can't promise you'll get the exact thing because we have 2 different trucks but I love Hypertech's product. And for 150 that's a steal. I paid 380.

Well I hope this helps a little bit and i'm sure a couple others will chime in soon.

Check out stylintrucks.com they have a huge selection of parts for your truck and you can get a great start on your research their.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Dont recall the manufacturer (think it was Magnaflow) but one of them made a muffler for V6 mustangs that gave a thoaty V8 roar (a search on the web of mustang sites might give you the answer). I've heard this exhaust systm on a Chevy V6 and it sounded good in all ranges. With the V6 you want to keep pipe sizes close to stock or you'll lose a lot of tourque, duals on a V6 also affect tourque.
Your best performance and economic choice would be to find a local exhaust shop, use the above mentioned muffler, and have new pipe run to your exit point.

If your looking for a recommendation on the Ebay intakes mine would be save your money. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the "cold air intakes" mostly because using an open filter element without ducting air from a high velocity low pressure area on the car isnt a cold air intake, it's an intake drawing hot engine air. Any gains (except intake noise if thats what you want) from the open filament filter are cancelled out by the hot air your pulling into the engine.
My recomendation for an intake system would be to build your own. Heres how I'd do it:
First I'd replace the tube between the airfilter box and the TB with a smooth bore tube. Then I'd use more tube to duct cold outside air from either the cowl or the grill in front of the radiator. I'd top it off with a Dry Flow drop in replacement air filter.
The Hypertech programmer is a good choice, not a bad price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For exhaust, Ill probably end up going to a friend of a friend not to far away, see what he recomends and then compare prices/packages from what in had in mind.

Is a throttle body spacer worth the 100 bucks?
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?category%7ccategory_root%7c-28=Performance&selected_prod_ids=259&partid=3341

How many people have tinted windows? Im thinking of going 30-35%, again, a cheap ebay speical kit.

Anyone have a place for cheap light covers (smoke/black)? I can only find ones that are upwards of 50$ (for the headlights, and another 50 for the tail), thats alot of money to get only a cosmetic advantage.

What are you guys running for audio systems? I was originally gonna go 2 8" subs, an amp, upgraded headunit and 2 6.5"s in my doorpanel (upgraded) But what about just replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket and then going to a better headunit? saving me about 150 (replacing 2 6.5's and 2 4x6's)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts