GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it's dark I cannot turn my headlights off but they are off during the day I know about the dome override button but it doesn't work. My foglights don't work either. I don't know if they are tied together somewhere? Anyway I bought new switches hoping to solve both problems. Nope. So I looked into the fog light problem (thinking they might somehow be connected) I checked my fuse and then bought a new relay still nothing. Neither of these features have worked since I bought the truck. Any ideas or am I SOL? Thank you

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
If you are in the US, your truck will have a headlight switch with an AUTO position and a park light on position (picture of a couple of lights), a headlight on position (picture of a single light)...........and, an OFF position (a circle).

This OFF position may be spring loaded and you may have to turn it to off every time you want them off.

If your in Canada, you don't have the off position.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know what year truck but on GM's usually fog lights are turned on by pushing the headlight switch in. They always have to be turned on manually, they do not come on with the auto lights

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the US but my late 99 has the auto/off in the same position then I have parking and turned all the way up is headlights. It also has the dome override button I thought you push 3 or 4 times to turn off the auto headlights when it's dark like my 02 Silverado but it does not work. Next to that switch is the cargo light and fog light switch. Those are push button. The cargo light works but the fogs don't. I have changed out both switches but same results

·
Registered
6 Posts
check fog light bulbs first- then for volts at there plugs then volts at the switch.
as for headlights- book say 5 times in five seconds- repeat everytime you start.pita

·
Registered
2 Posts
What was the fix for this issue? My 99 is doing the same thing. Dome override does not cut the headlights off anymore. It used to work then it just stopped. Swapped the switch out with one from my s10 that works, but still nothing.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
Ok, I didn't understand the problem when the OP posted 3 years ago and I still don't understand.

What is the problem, the headlights don't turn off?

Are they auto on and should be auto off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my ‘99 Silverado. I was at a drive in movie last weekend, had to leave the truck off with radio playing to not blind everyone - good thing it was cool out and I didn’t need the AC. Had to switch the keys to ACC real quick every 15 mins or so when the radio would shut off, and the lights would come on again, felt bad for the people in front of me.

The problem is, no way to override the auto on, so that the lights stay off when you want them to.

I’ll be watching to see what folks recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Don't know if this will work for you but try setting the parking brake with the ignition off and then turn the key to on to see if the lights stay off.. Some may not function this way but some do.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
695 Posts
The parking brake "should" work as a quick fix. I'll check in my 2000 in a bit. I'm not sure why the switch has quit...

I permanently disabled my auto headlights with a resistor in place of the light sensor. I was having issues with the HID ballast blowing bulbs (one literally exploded and embedded in the lens) and burning up ballasts with the power flutter at startup. Now the lights are purely manual. Might be an option to look into.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
Silver, I just downloaded the '99 owners manual, it states exactly what you typed, use the parking brake.

Everything is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
695 Posts
The parking brake "should" work as a quick fix. I'll check in my 2000 in a bit. I'm not sure why the switch has quit...

I permanently disabled my auto headlights with a resistor in place of the light sensor. I was having issues with the HID ballast blowing bulbs (one literally exploded and embedded in the lens) and burning up ballasts with the power flutter at startup. Now the lights are purely manual. Might be an option to look into.
I'm an idiot...How am I going to test my parking brake with a permanently disabled light sensor? 🤦

·
Registered
2 Posts
The parking brake works if your ambient light sensor is bad. Like mine was. That would cause the lights to stay on any time the ignition is on. I replaced the ambient light sensor in the dash, so now my lights go off when the sun is smiling at me.

My issue is the same as the OP here, minus the fog light issue. My dome override button does not override the headlights. Meaning if i want to turn my headlights off so that my LED DRL come on, well I'm just screwed.

I took the headlight switch out of my s10 (known working switch) and put it in my Sierra, and the dome override doesn't work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my ‘99 Silverado. I was at a drive in movie last weekend, had to leave the truck off with radio playing to not blind everyone - good thing it was cool out and I didn’t need the AC. Had to switch the keys to ACC real quick every 15 mins or so when the radio would shut off, and the lights would come on again, felt bad for the people in front of me.

The problem is, no way to override the auto on, so that the lights stay off when you want them to.

I’ll be watching to see what folks recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In your issue, while in the drive-in, leave your emergency brake on turn car off then back on and headlights should stay off till the emergency brake released. Did you ever try buying a new switch from amazon and seeing if it added the feature back again/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts