GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Today I am finally stumpedx with my Sub. I was driving back from Baht, NY to home when hbalfway the check engine light flashed rapidly then all of a sudden quit on me. Now normaly I wouldnt complain, I've put 195,000 miles on her with very little problems but today it way -10 and I had no gloves or a hat stranded in the middle of no were. When I tried restarting it sounded like it wanted to fire then it would back fire and diesel for a min then nothing. While cranking the engine would turn over real slow then real fast then stop then fast agin. Before it broke down it started to stumble a little at a light acceleration and I had just replaced the coil, cap & rotor, plugs, wire, and a Emmisions canister relief valve. I accidentaly broke it off while getting the coil out. Darn ice. Any suggestions would be great. I believe it it the computer due to there are no codes showing up with my scan tool I got from Snap-On. I ordered one today but If I can get it going before they deliver it on Wed, it would be great. Also the fuel pump seems to be working. I hear the pump turn on and off and also here the presure under the hood.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
My experience

I had a 98 Silverado and a 99 Burb. replaced the fuel pump in the 98 twice and the Burb at 103,000. That era of truck had lots of fuel pump problems. The fuel pump in both sounded like it was working and even would work on and off. That is my experience...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm thinking timing too. Slack in the chain, or distributor drive gear. Without codes, you don't have much to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
101 Posts
two thing to check out at once ,,, what pressure does your pump deliver ? and how is your crank sensor feeling ? those are the two points i shoud start to check out if i was in your shoes ,,,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I decided to go ahead and replace almost every thing. She has 135000 miles on her so it is just easier that way. I got a new fuel pump for $115.00, a new computer for $235, a new upgraded fuel injection spider and pres. reg for $265, a new timing set for $45, and a whole mess of new sensors for about $200. Also going to replace the lower intake manifold, if I can find one for a reasonable price. The dealership wants over $600!!! I found an after market one for around $400, but I'm going to check with the local salvage yards.
I have to replace it because I cracked the rear heater output. I could fix it but it is usually easier to just replace them. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Don't forget the fuel filter its a big thing for failures like that on your 99.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Ignition module, it gave me some trouble a few weeks back and no idea at all that was the problem because it would start and run after spraying starting fluid.

These new computer controlled engines can be a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Some do, some don't

These new computer controlled engines can be a nightmare.
I prefer an ecm controlled ignition/fuel system. No more points to set, or dwell/timing to adjust. Now with unleaded gas, fouled plugs are a thing of the past. I'll take TBI or TPI over a quadrajet any day.:biggrin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I replaced almost everything there is electrical to replace and I am still at square one. I'm going to dig into my engine later tomorrow. Going to check my distributor gear and my timing chain. The stupid thing back fired in my face and gave me a nice flash burn when I tried to start it yesterday. That definitely tellm me that the timing is off or I have a serious internal problem. But hey, the rest needed to be replaced anyway. The darn thing has 195,000 miles on it so why not.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hope you didn't get any serious burns.

I noticed that GM tends to use aluminum timing gears with a poly coating on the teeth for the cam. Probably to absorb vibrations. Once the coating starts to crack it will chip off, and will leave you with a huge slack area. Additionally the poly coating only lasts so long, before it wears down creating slack as well.

When I started my rebuild I noticed that the poly coating on my timing gear was cracked in a couple places. I could myself lucky that it never came apart while running.

Get yourself some nice noisy timing gears:biggrin:

Let us know what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts