GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I put a new dash unit in my Suburban, and I do not have any sound from the rear (center) speakers, and only a very high pitch audio coming out from the very rear speakers... I did continuity from the OEM stereo harness and get full continuity (could also get that if there is a short) when I put the multimeter on BUZZ, I get nada... when I test the front speakers, I heard the buzzing in the speaker as well.

So down to my question... where is the wiring harness located thru out the truck for the center rear and cargo speakers??? Or will it just be easier to run 8 new wires, 2 from each speaker...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm almost sure the wiring runs through the channels under the sill plates. Whether they run down each side, I don't know.

Did your factory radio have Bose or some other "premium sound"? Seems like I read once that, if so, you have to get around the amp and what-not.

My truck is just the basic 4 speaker, which is why I ask.

Good luck,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm almost sure the wiring runs through the channels under the sill plates. Whether they run down each side, I don't know.

Did your factory radio have Bose or some other "premium sound"? Seems like I read once that, if so, you have to get around the amp and what-not.

My truck is just the basic 4 speaker, which is why I ask.

Good luck,
I think it was Premium Sound... think there is a crappy amp somewhere, I just have to find it... that will be the hard part.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Been searching online and found that the Suburban might have a factory amplifier for the rear speakers, can someone point me in the right direction where this might be and what it would look like.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If you want the exact correct answers call a custom shop and ask the questions, half the people here will say there is a factory amp the other says there isnt, I have never seen one in mine. i dont know what the premium sound some talk of either as there was no bose offered back then and there want a difference from an LS to an LT.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah there is a small stupid aftermarket amp located under the driverseat (not on mine, the airbag computer is there) or under the dash... under the dash, it's bolted to the right (passenger) side of the steering colum and is a silver box with about 13 wires coming out of it with a white plug.
My solution was to ignore that amp and just install an aftermarket amp for the rear speakers and rerun all the wires to the rear speakers (!) I think there is an easier way too, but this was the way I did it and then I was able to get some heavier gauge wires in there as well...

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey everyone. 99 suburban will have a factory amp. if memory serves correct, it's to the right of the glove box opening. fold down glove box door. silver metal box.
check that when you reinstalled the radio you hooked up the smaller 5 or 6 pin connector. it plugs into your factory deck. it will have a pink or dark green wire, this activates the amp. the only speakers on this amp are the rear door speakers.

gwcars13, pull your aftermarket radio, if you used a plug adaptor, check your blue wire coming from it, make sure it's hooked to the blue/white coming from the aftermarket radio, if it is, look for the smaller plug i mentioned above, there will be a pink or dark green wire near the edge of the plug, it will need to see signal from the blue/white wire also. this will turn on your factory amp.
Hope this helped you guys out.

Patrick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brendin,
I just swapped out the factory stereo on my '96 LT K2500 Suburban last weekend. On my truck, there is a little metal box under my driver side seat. That little metal box is the amplifier for my 2nd row door speakers only. The Front speakers and the two speakers in the very back are powered from the deck itself. The wiring harness and installation instructions from Crutchfield state numerous times that the Blue remote amp wire has to be hooked up to turn on the amplifier under the seat. Now, I got a wiring harness with it, so all I had to do was wire the blue remote amp wire on the Sony wiring pigtail to the blue wire on the wiring harness.

You may have tried this already, but I would go on Crutchfield, plug in your rig specs, plug in your stereo, and when it brings up your master installation instructions see if you can download them, it is worth a shot. Anyway, hope this helps. (come to think of it, they probably charge for that stuff, but you never know...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This post worked for me. There is an amplifier that powers the rear door speakers:

gwcars13, pull your aftermarket radio,if you used a plug adaptor, check your blue wire coming from it, make sure it's hooked to the blue/white coming from the aftermarket radio, if it is, look for the smaller plug i mentioned above, there will be a pink or dark green wire near the edge of the plug, it will need to see signal from the blue/white wire also. this will turn on your factory amp.
Hope this helped you guys out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 99 suburban I can't find a single wiring diagram thats the same.
There's a pink wire I have no clue
Purple/ white no clue
Green right next to green/white no clue for either of them.
Gray no clue
Please someone help. I've heard the gray is some dimmer I've heard the pink is for an amp I've heard the gray is a fuse out or the purple is a fuse out which I have no clue what that means and I've also heard the green and green and whitehave some to do with some VSS. Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. My front speakers work (almost) fine (occasionally the passenger front one will 'cut out'), but the rear ones act like they're blown (can only get a barely heard sound from them when I set the fader to them only and turn the volume almost all the way up).
Is there an easy way to check them (I do have a digital multimeter) to see if they're really 'blown' or if there's some sort of a short/open somewhere in the wiring? I'm not familiar with the vehicle's wiring (yet - still learning).

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
All we know about your truck is that it's white.

Ted

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
Sorry - put the model & year in my profile, but for some reason it's not showing here.

'99 K1500 LT Suburban 5.7L
Haha, no problem, it's there now.

Getting back to your speakers. There is no easy way to get at the wiring to test.
One way is to remove the radio and checking each set of speaker wires., but that really doesn't tell you much.
The best way is to start at each speaker, and the quick test is to have a spare speaker to use at each test point. Just a cheap speaker from an old radio (one you know works).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha, no problem, it's there now.

Getting back to your speakers. There is no easy way to get at the wiring to test.
One way is to remove the radio and checking each set of speaker wires., but that really doesn't tell you much.
The best way is to start at each speaker, and the quick test is to have a spare speaker to use at each test point. Just a cheap speaker from an old radio (one you know works).
And if I don't have a 'spare' speaker to work with?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
And if I don't have a 'spare' speaker to work with?
You can get a "spare" by buying one Cheap at Walmart (you can always return it). You may need to research speaker replacements anyway, since they can blow out fairly easily. When I replaced mine last year, I was shocked at the condition and initial quality. The replacements were much better quality, inexpensive and sound great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts