GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow GM owners,

I have had some problems recently with my tahoe. As you know the winters here in Northern Alaska are harsh. Towards the end of last winter my Tahoe started having issues with its Heat. I noticed that one day the Temp gauge was climbing high then the check gauges light came on. I also noticed the Oil Pressure gauge was high. I thought to my self that the truck could not have been running hott since it was -50 outside. When the temp guage and oil gauge drops my heat cutts off. After a few minutes of driving the temp guage goes back to normal and so does the oil gauge and the heat kick back on. When i got home i checked the fluids and the were a little low. After a few days the same issue happend to me. I checked the fluids and noticed that the anitfreeze was low so i added some. After a week went by it happend again after a few days and i then checked the fluids and it was a little low. Im sure there is a leak somewhere but dont know where or how to find it. I have already changed out the thermostate thinking that was the issue. It was a no go. I might have gotten a bad one though. But anyways winter is quickly approaching here in Alaska and Id like to get this fixed before I freeze my Buns off driving to work. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

·
1,536 Posts
Im sure there is a leak somewhere but dont know where or how to find it.
When I suspect a coolant leak, the first thing I do is "borrow" the cooling system pressure tester from a parts store, hook it up cold, and pressure up the system. Let it sit for a while and see if there's any coolant dripping off the engine somewhere. Most of the time, you can find the leak this way (assuming and external leak).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after my tahoe has been parked for a few weeks i decided to change out the leaking powersteering fluid line. After changing the line i went to open the Radiator cap and found a bunch of green sludge on the cap and all around the top of the radiator. I also noticed that the radiator fluid was very low. Do you guys think its time for a new radiator?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts