GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and to the gm trucks. I'm having problems with the a/c in my 02 suburban 1500. It has manual climate control unit with rear a/c. So when I bought the truck the a/c button would blink and go off. I did research and a couple of things would pop up that could be the problem. So one thing I read was to jump the wires going to the low pressure switch by the firewall on passenger side. So I got a paperclip and did so. Nothing happened. I checked all the fuses that I was told to check, under the hood and on side of the dash board and all fuses were good. So I decided to remove the compressor because I thought the clutch was bad. While the compressor was off I took two wires and put them to battery and the other end to the clutch wires and BOOM the clutch engaged. So now I'm at a stand still on what to do. Could my connection to the clutch be bad how could I check this. I thought about the system being low on freon but when I jumped the wires with the paperclip the clutch should still have engaged right? Also how do you add freon when you can't turn the a/c on? Any information would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
There is a relay between those 2 circuits.

The circuit with the low pressure switch operates the relay when the dash control unit calls for AC and there is sufficient pressure (low pressure switch).
The contacts of the operated relay will complete the circuit to the clutch field coil.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Ok, but you need the relay to operate to provide power to the clutch.

Take the cover off the fuse panel, lay a finger on top of the relay, AC off.
Have someone turn the AC on from the dash.
The relay should operate, you should feel it

·
Registered
361 Posts
If I remember with my 02 Suburban if you pushed in the AC button and the dial for selecting where the air comes out and that position didn’t call for the need for the compressor to work it would blink. When you push the AC button are the dial on either defrost or dash vents?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts