GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking advantage of our terrific Texas weather (71 deg) today and doing a little maintenance on my tow rig (97 GMC K2500 Suburban) while the oil was draining I launched myself under the truck to hit a few zert fittings and look over the undercarriage. The driveline felt a little loose so I rolled the truck back a few feet to recheck things, the problem became evident as soon as I saw the rear U joints.

What worries me the most is I never felt any of the usual symptoms of a failing U joint, driveline vibration, thumping, squeeling, etc.
Glad I caught it before I lost a driveshaft on the highway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! glad you caught it in time. Looks like it was infested with grease worms. :gasp:

·
Registered
533 Posts
holy crap thats crazy good catch ! glad that you were able to correct it before something serious happened :gasp:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Wow, you could been sitting on the side of the highways somewhere. Glad you got it fixed and glad you didn't have to deal with that on a cold and rainy day either.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Wow, you could been sitting on the side of the highways somewhere. Glad you got it fixed and glad you didn't have to deal with that on a cold and rainy day either.

Sorry I had to move this to powertrain too. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
And I thought the brake job on my yard plow was bad.

Sorry to hear you found this problem.
Glad to hear you found it before it stranded you or cost you more than just replacing the U-joints.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brake job on your yard plow was bad, I had 70deg wheather to work in, I hate the cold when I'm outside trying to work on a car.

Could have been much worse, I wouldnt want to repair it on the side of the road or have to buy a driveshaft flange because I broke or bent the ears. Or a new driveshaft because it got banged up bouncing down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts