GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have owned many Japanese cars and SUV but I have never owned a US car in my life. And heard good things about Suburban and I am considering buying a used Suburban maybe from year 2002-2004 for my family of 5. Can you please give me an advise on year model like which year should I avoid and which year should I buy? or not buying this at all :). We are not gas mileage phobia , we know this car drink gas i I drink water :)

The things I concern the most are reliability and quietness. I dont want to buy a car that makes you go to the repairshop every month or sweat when it breaks down in the middle of the street when I have three young kids in there ( it happened to me before)

thanks for all your advises

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My wife drives a 2001 Suburban and it has been her favorite vehicle she has ever owned. It is quiet yet powerful with the 5.3 liter Vortec engine. It is very roomy for the whole family with a pretty large cargo area as well. I do not think there have been many changes for newer Suburban's besides cosmetic inside and out and maybe a few more upgraded options but the vehicle remains much the same. I know with having young kids it is a nice feature to have the Onstar option for help in unlocking doors to calling for a tow if the vehicle is broke down. I know recently there were some changes made to Onstar that will make 2002 and older models non-compliant because of analog Onstar systems and only offering an expensive upgrade for 2003 models so if Onstar is important to you, go with 2004 or newer.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have two Suburbans and I can say that if you take care of them they are very reliable. I have five kids so I don't have a lot of choice when it comes to cars that can carry the family. I have had a 1995 for about 7 years and I just bought a 2001 a couple of weeks ago.

The 1995 broke down on my wife one time. I wouldn't call that constant breakdowns.

I would suggest getting a 2001 or later that has been well cared for and then continue to care for it. Change the oil on time. Give it a tune up when you are supposed to. Fix the little things before they leave you on the side of the road.
The same can be said of any car. Don't fall for the lies that American cars break down every week. It is not true.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First of all no Burb is a car.

They are trucks.

They have improved the ride in the newer ones, to the point of almost making them ride like cars. But if you want a car ride, you will be disapointed.

I love ours, we have 2, 89, 94. A used vehicle is always you best buy. The highest loss is on a new vehicle.

If you want something that will protect you and tow anything you want, the Burb is the vehicle.

Even the 07 just got a Consumer Reports Best Buy in this months issue for new vehicles.

This is the oldest SUV, (I hate that term) they have been around the longest and is the best as far as I am concerned so no year is week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts