GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My old '88 Burban had some really tired treads, otherwise I would have swapped rubber, because they were slightly taller and wider meats. It looked really nice. My question though is, isn't the factory size (skinnier) tire a better tire for snow/ice conditions?

At least with my smaller cars, I think the wider tire disperses the weight more, and makes certain traction situations worse I think. I think perhaps in deep mud or sand is where a wider tire has the advantage.

Does this sound correct?
I can only relate with my Subaru ownership. In WRC racing, the Subaru rally cars have skinny snow tires for use on the wet, and use wider tires for tarmac and dirt sections.

I've been tempted to buy some nice aftermarket rims and maybe some wider rubber, but I would either keep my current rims for winter use, or buy a new set the same width if it made winter driving worse.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It amazes me seeing cars like volvos getting stuck in the snow and then you see someone in a geo on pretty much bicycle tires drive through the same spot like it's nothing. Skinny tires are better in the snow from my experience but I do like the look of a wider tire. :neutral:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The size of the contact patch doesn't change for the same car at the same tire pressure no matter what tire you select.

The car weighs the same and if the tire pressure is the same then the square inches of rubber that is in contact with the road is the same size.

I agree that driving in the snow seems to be better with a narrow tire. I think it is because wider tires act more like a snow plow and narrower tires tend to carve through the snow. Just my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts