GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, Im about to buy a new Silverado. Ive tried Ford, have a Dodge, and am going to try a Chevy this time. Looking for that "right" truck haha. I am very active in the Ram forums and have a few regrets that I would have known to do/not do if I had asked the forums before buying.

I am wainting a crew cab, 4x4 probably in light silver. My current truck is black and its been a pain. Won't do leather, it was 109 here and its just too hot for me. Im looking at spending 26-30, hopefully get 16 on the Ram (which is paid off). What are some of the things to order/look for when buying a Silverado? Engine size, gear ratio, accessories to buy or hold off on?

Also, I have 9" of lift on the dodge. I will probably level this. What is a good level kit for the truck? I know nothing about GM suspension, do they use coilovers or t-bars? I would like the 5100s if coilover.

I would search each and every thing but I know some guys like to add their own thing in. Just take it easy on me, Im trying to come over to "the dark side" haha.

Here's the Dodge for S**ts and Giggles

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice Dodge, my second choice behind the Silverado. As someone with a '03 6.0L, I would say go with the new 6.0L at 367HP or the 6.2L at 403HP but that's because I'm partial to gas engines. I believe the newer Silverados come with a 3.73 or lower gear ratio which is kind of weak IMO, so upgrading to 4.10s or 4.56s would be a good first mod. You will get many opinions on the best leveling kit but most will say go with FORGED KEYS rather than cast. Personally, I'm not a fan of the new Silverado's appearance and that's why I'm sticking with my 2003. Out of the big three, I feel the new Dodge Rams have the best look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
X2 on the 6.2. Two weeks ago I traded in an 05 2500 crewcab with the 6.0 for a new GMC 1500 crewcab with the 5.3. I have to say I miss the power already. The 5.3 is OK but its not even close to the bigger motor. I test drove a Silverado with the 6.2 and it really was quick and kinda fun to drive. The only problem was there werent many of them on lots and I didnt want to wait for a 2012. Plus I would have lost the rebate and my trade in would have been that much less.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, the 6.2 is rare in the Silverado. I think it's more of an Escalade engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Take time to test drive a chevy crew cab 4x4 - I purchase a new 2011 and the first truck I bought had 6 trips the Service center within the first 3 months. My dealership replaced that truck with another identical truck, and that one has been great soo far. Make sure you drive the truck you are considering buying, around town, on the highway, etc before making your decision. If your going to be using it to tow, ask the salesman if you can hook it up to your boat, trailer, etc. to make sure it can do what you want it to do. The 6 speed transmission helps alot when towing, and when highway driving.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
for leveling it depends on the year, assuming you are going new or slightly used 07'NBS and up will be a spacer later than that will be Tbar

·
Registered
6 Posts
seats

I think they changed the cloth seats for the newer year models but I have an '07 NBS and the cloth seats are completely worthless. The lint gets stuck and wont come off. Pain in the ass!!! I would go with leather. (the heat sucks, but trust me the lint sucks worse. & i live in west texas where it has been over 100 for weeks at a time)

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you have not already bought one and are still in the market for a silverado then I would wait until Sept to buy it. There really has been no big programs on those yet this year. (about $4000 is the biggest rebates they have ran lately. I have a feeling they will get up to at least the 6-7,000 range next month.) It is just a guess, but the 12's will be coming out soon, and EVERYONE has a TON of trucks on their lots, and they made us take a LOT more over the last two months. So, they must be planning something BIG to move them.
You didn't mention if you wanted a 1500 or a 2500? The 6.0 is a great motor, and it does have more balls than the 5.3. But if you need gas mileage more often than power, I would go with the 5.3L and the six speed tranny with the standard 3:08 gears in it and a tow package. You can always drop it down into manual, and bump shift it like a stick shift with the new shifter on the shift lever now. It does work pretty good, it wont run like a 6L but the mileage will be a lot better. That is the main reason they are not stocked on the lots these days. At $4 a gallon for gas, we seldom ever get anyone in looking for a 6L or bigger motors unless they go with a 2500 or bigger truck. But if power is still part of the issue when buying, then stay away from the 4.8L. It IS cheaper, but the mileage is not as good as the 5.3L and it REALLY lacks in the power department.
Good luck with what ever you decide. I have been selling these things for over 30 years now (Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota. For the last 6 years I have been back with Chevy.), so if you have any questions I can answer for you, or help you out in any way I will be happy to do so. Feel free to PM me anytime.
Good luck with your new truck!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2011 Silverado, Crew cab, Z71 and although the rebate was $4005 plus $500 bonus, the total off the $41,705 MSRP was $7960 (including rebates) before my trade equity was applied. I bought mine at a large Chevrolet dealership about 120 miles from my house. Shop around. The salesman I had was great. They didn't have the spec I wanted on their main lot so they called around and had one brought in from a nearby city that had everything I wanted. They would have done just about anything for the sale. My local dealer (where I get all my service done) would only give me the rebate and bonus and wasn't willing to budge an inch above that.

If Chevy comes out with higher rebates in September, and they're mark down stays as is, you should get a really good deal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If things stay as they were your dealer will knock off the value of all your modifications to your old truck unless it is a factory package. Anything you modify from stock costs you twice, once when you buy it, once when you sell it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
When I bought my Sierra earlier this year they had just as many 6.0 as they did the 5.3. So you may want to check the GMC lots if you want the 6.0. I have seen commercials around here offering $6k in rebates. As far as level kits go I put a King Shock level kit on my truck and really like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts