GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I own a '95 suburban 4 x 4 with a 5.7 L. At intial start-up, the dash lights come on and go off as usual inc. the abs light. But as soon as the truck gets rolling the abs light stays on. Faulty module or what?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
DO the brakes work?

I hate the ABS system on these things.

sorry I can't tell you anything about the problem, except that a lot of people disconect the bulb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the brakes work, but not sure if correctly. I disconnected the plugs for the front sensors which causes the light to come on instantly. I believe there is one on the transmission for the rear brakes but have not located it. Could it be...

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First make sure it’s not your emergency brake that is setting the brake light off.

On 4 wheel drive models the speed sensor should be in the transfer case.

If you can find someone with a scan tool have them run a scan, some parts stores will loan these tools out for a small deposit you get back when you return it.

Make sure your brake light switch is working properly to as that is what activates the whole system.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Highmileage said:
hi, I own a '95 suburban 4 x 4 with a 5.7 L. At intial start-up, the dash lights come on and go off as usual inc. the abs light. But as soon as the truck gets rolling the abs light stays on. Faulty module or what?
Highmileage this is from a later post that you may have already seen:
OK...I found and fixed the problem. It was ABS related as per this site.

The older Suburbans do not have a separate ABS and Brake warning light.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr89850.htm

"Another false code problem has been noted on some 1988 and '89 "C" and "K" series GM trucks. A code 10 may be set when the vehicle is traveling over 37 miles-per-hour and the ABS controller sees an open circuit or no voltage in the stop lamp switch circuit. Later models have a revised brake pedal switch that eliminates the problem. "

"To manually clear a stored fault code on GM and some Dodge trucks with RWAL, remove the ABS fuse or disconnect the battery for 5 seconds. Ford RABS codes will automatically clear when the ignition is turned to the off position."

So, to fix the problem, I simply pulled the fuse for the ABS (RWAL) for about 30 seconds. Replaced the fuse...road tested the vehicle...and sure enough no more Brake warning light.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
RE: Re: abs light comes on

a lot of people disconect the bulb.
!!WARNING!! Disconnecting the bulb is a very bad idea! If the light comes on and stays on, it's because the system has detected a problem. If you don't feel confident in diagnosing the problem yourself, you should have it checked by a qualified technician. Ignoring the light doesn't help either.

A couple years ago a friend of mine had a grand am that had the ABS light come on, and stay on. He put electrical tape over the light so he couldn't see it any more. A couple days later while coming to a stop light, his ABS kicked in when it shouldn't have. This was mild braking, and he was not moving very fast. Luckily the vehicle came to a stop only slightly into the intersection.

Most people tend to under estimate the ABS light , thinking that if the light is on, then it's just not going to work for them when they need it, and that they will make do without it. But the light coming on, doesn't always mean that it won't work, but that it may malfunction at any time.

This is my opinion, but not having the ABS checked when the light comes on, is just as irresponsible as drinking and driving.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Same thing happened to me. ABS kicked in when it shouldn't have. I just disconected the module entirely.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
strangely enough when I disconnected the module the light went away. I Left the fuse in though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts