GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Given my 99 suburban has rear AC, what can I realistically expect the AC system to do in that vehicle - 40 degree ambiant temp drop? With outside temp at 93, I'm seeing about 55 degrees from the front vents. Probably not the best it could do, but I was wondering if this was in the ballpark. I'm told with two evaporator coils this system isn't going to produce the temps that a single evap system could do. Is this accurate?

thanks,
Maury

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Mine blows nice and cold as long as I am moving. When I stop, the temp comes up a little. I have never put a thermometer in the vents, so I don't know what temps it runs. I do have a small leak and when it starts getting low, the temps come up until I get it topped back off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same here! I live in South Florida and if I leave my truck out in the sun it takes a very long time for it to cool off. I keep it under a carport and it will be marginal during stop and go traffic. In the highway it's great. I suspect it's due to the low RPMs these engines run.

I have a Ford Focus for a daily driver and it will freeze you! It's RPMS are always between 2000-3500.

Just wondering if a different pulley set would help? or what are people seeing with more agressive axle ratios?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same here! I live in South Florida and if I leave my truck out in the sun it takes a very long time for it to cool off. I keep it under a carport and it will be marginal during stop and go traffic. In the highway it's great. I suspect it's due to the low RPMs these engines run.

I have a Ford Focus for a daily driver and it will freeze you! It's RPMS are always between 2000-3500.

Just wondering if a different pulley set would help? or what are people seeing with more agressive axle ratios?
When you are moving on the road you get more air going through the condenser and that is what gives you the colder air. The Ford Focus has an electric fan that comes on with the A/C and that's why it is cold even when stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
An electric fan will help with the idling temps by pushing more air across the condensor in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Makes perfect since., Sounds like a worthy upgrade since I use the A.C year round down here. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts