GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been doing out-of-the-box thinking lately, if you had a large displacement turbo deisel that has been stroked, n2o, twin charged, ect. and the engine had a substantial low rpm torque and lets say a 3000 rpm redline, what kind of performance could you get if it was matched to a custom transmission that had very high ratios.
(so at 3000 rpm, 1st gear first gear could get you to 30mph, instead of 30mph at a 6500 redline on a typical stock transmission w/ stock engine. I would imagine that it would have to be a very high torque 1000+ ft/lbs, but again in theory, the engine wouldnt need the horsepower because of the incredibly high torque numbers and low rpm red line. It would be quite the thing to experience

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only one problem

Thats been thought of before. The problem with a diesel is not the power or ratios. I can get 1200ft/lbs out of a box stock duramax no sweat. The problem is getting a transmission that won't eat itself...or outright explode trying to transmit that much torque with such tall ratios. That combination of stupid amounts of torque and the lack of speen reduction in the tall ratios pretty much spells the end for a tranny.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
It would be awesome to have a Duramax much like in the Banks truck that could run a 8.21 second quarter mile at 165 mph.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
that thing is fricken awesome!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts