GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, new to the community.

I am a few years away from retirement and looking to buy a Chevy Express cargo van and make it into a camper / travel van.

I am looking at a 2500 6.6L with a 6 speed HD transmission, will not consider the V6.

OPTION 1 - BUY NEW: Since I have a few more years of working I could finance and buy new.
My concerns are engine and transmission reliability on the new vans – will do basic maintenance myself.

What is your advice.

OPTION 2 – BUY USED: Another option is to buy used, I understand the previous engines / transmissions have beed reliable (6.0L gasoline), but I am concerned about oil consumption, transmission etc., since I will not know how the car was maintained.

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what little I know of new vehicles(extremely little interest in a rolling computer), oil consumption is a bigger problem today due to new engines requiring thinner oil to the point of 0W20 on some lighter models. How this translates to heavier vehicles like full-size vans, Suburbans, etc., I don't know, but I do know that as vehicles get newer, there will be fewer bits you can fix yourself due to the excess computers, and as a vehicle gets older(especially pre-2010 models), it will get easier to find info on it as more people get familiar with the platform and can tell you exactly what is likely to be wrong in a particular situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts