GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for letting me join. I purchase 2015 Silverado with 22,000 miles. Should I kill the AFM now before it does damage? It's driving me bonkers. Thanks Ralph S

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Look Ralph, here are the facts.

You can buy a device that will disable the AFM program in the ECM.

However, all of the AFM hardware is still there; and,

You still must use GM Dexos oil (read high quality synthetic) and a very good filter.

And change the oil at an appropriate interval.

There is a filter in the lifter oil passages that must also be changed.

So, in my opinion, if you do all of the above you are ensuring that the AFM components will live long lives and disabling is no longer a factor.

And.......Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
X2 on what Ray said. And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You still must use GM Dexos oil (read high quality synthetic) and a very good filter.

So, in my opinion, if you do all of the above you are ensuring that the AFM components will live long lives and disabling is no longer a factor.

Thanks very much. And thanks for the quick response. Great site

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Thanks for letting me join. I purchase 2015 Silverado with 22,000 miles. Should I kill the AFM now before it does damage? It's driving me bonkers. Thanks Ralph S
kill the AFM ...many have liked this widget because better shifting and they got slightly higher MPG.
GM had a caddy engine that had this type system 4/6/8 cylinder operation .. all those engines dead. did not hold up..
my guess is the original owner had the AFM widget in the truck ..
buy this widget from a positive review company ..
looks like you did read the reviews about the AFM GM engine damage.. some had to pay 5-7,ooo to repair the engine .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I wouldn't pay 5 to $7,000 to get it repaired might as well drop in another engine. I remember those Cadillacs from back in the day.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I remember those Cadillacs from back in the day.
No comparison, those engines disabled the values at the rocker arm (actually a better idea than collapsing a lifter in my opinion), they used very small and slow engine computers (it was the early '80s) and the computer relied on engine vacuum to tell it when to active and deactivated.
So, don't use the old Caddy engine to as a benchmark.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I agree with Ray on the valve actuators verses lifter springs and oil solenoids etc. I had one of those V8-6-4 cads. It ran good but the gas mileage wasn't worth the effort in my opinion. Those caddies were a bit on the heavy side. The technology was an experiment IMO. Very expensive to repair too. I traded it before any engine issues. My 2012 Silverado wasn't much better on gas mileage either. Maybe 1 or 2 miles per gallon at best. I wasn't in V4 mode much.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
It stands for Active Fuel Management.

The engines have a package of mechanical and computer parts and programs that de-activates some of the cylinders under light load conditions. The 10 year old (and a bit newer) trucks could turn off half of the cylinders (turning a V8 into a V4); the very new trucks can turn off up to 7 of 8 cylinders.

That's a nutshell overview, there is a lot more on the net.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It stands for Active Fuel Management.

The engines have a package of mechanical and computer parts and programs that de-activates some of the cylinders under light load conditions. The 10 year old (and a bit newer) trucks could turn off half of the cylinders (turning a V8 into a V4); the very new trucks can turn off up to 7 of 8 cylinders.

That's a nutshell overview, there is a lot more on the net.
ok thanks for the info, I didnt know the official term, now I have some more knowledge!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

You mentioned the filter in the lifter oil passage passages. I have a 2015 Yukon SLT. Where is it located? Never heard of it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
it's called VLOMF valve lifter oil manifold filter. its hidden under the oil pressure switch on top of the engine. it looks like a thimble but is a stainless steel screen.

the most important piece of information about this little guy is... THERE IS NO SCHEDULED SERVICING OF THIS PART! everything has a scheduled maintenance! so when the screen gets clogged and the computer activates afm, but the lifters cant operate right because of lack of oil.... problems arise and things break.

I dont have one of these trucks and never will.

Al

Reactions: kennythewelder

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
@JuniorD if you want to see the thread I'm talking about, do a search using AFM oil filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts