GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started out this year looking to move into a New/Newer pickup, but then there was Covid-19 and the price of a new or newer truck left this solar system. in many cases, a used truck was worth more than a new one since the used one had all it semiconductors, chips ! So after the fifth guy walks up to me at HomeDepot with a offer to buy my old truck, I decide it was time to go back and do the necessary work to my now 31 year old Silverado, New flywheel/flexplate, Removed the trans while doing the flex-plate and changed the fluid and filter and new seals while it was out on the bench, replace my valve cover gaskets and then there was the issue of some tiny rust holes starting to show there existence, (Rocker panels & rust over the back wheels in the bed). So I found a company in Pittsburg PA who sold replacement panels made out of 16 gauge sheet metal, ordered them and then it was time to go to the body shop of a friend of mine, Took better part of 5 weeks but now with the body work done, and a new battery installed, she's back to work and I never owned a truck that the engine idled so smooth you can see ripples in the surface of a cup of coffee sitting on the floor while stopped at a traffic light, but here's my work of the past year, I also installed new duel exhaust and replaced the sliding back window for a single pane stock tinted 15%. And around here it is hard to find a chevy truck only 3-4 years old with what i have on this one I just turned 125,348 last night coming home from Harrisburg PA. I only have a 305 in it but out on the turnpike, it sits right there at 65 MPH and does that all day long uphill or downhill. My wife thinks it's ugly:rolleyes: ????
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Plant Vehicle
Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,811 Posts
A thing of beauty, James.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something that , ( for some reason astounds me ) The minor rust that was on the rocker panels and just above the rear wheel openings in the bed, They only became last year, when the truck was 30 years old ???? I see Dodge Rams that are 3-4 years old and already have rust pocking through the bed. To me, at this late date, rust affecting the bodies of these truck should really be something you only experience after the truck of any vehicle when the vehicles is 12+ years old. It's 2021, they should be able to build a rust free truck, I know there is always going to be surface rust from road debris, but the stuff that eats through from the inside out should be something of the past ?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,435 Posts
With the cheapness of builds, the increase in stamped body folds, and the spot welded closed off chambers (double layers on truck beds, etc.), I'm not surprised with the rust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice. As long as you can hang on to old tech do it. The new stuff runs like Indy cars but they all have exotic valve trains. The new work trucks come standard with 2.7 turbo 4 cylinder motors. Go to you tube and watch those reviews for a wakeup call.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
AND..... that 2.7 is a DOG on fuel in a full size pickup. haha from what I can find about it, my old Burb with over half a million Kms and it's original 5.7L gets better fuel mileage.

You made a very wise choice there JT!

as always, that is a SWEET truck!

CHEERS MAN!

·
Registered
16,239 Posts
Al, the vid you and I watched was the 2.7 towing a pretty big load up hill, I think it only got 3, or 4, miles per gal; but from what I read, it will give 26 mpg when empty, that's not bad mileage.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Something that , ( for some reason astounds me ) The minor rust that was on the rocker panels and just above the rear wheel openings in the bed, They only became last year, when the truck was 30 years old ???? I see Dodge Rams that are 3-4 years old and already have rust pocking through the bed. To me, at this late date, rust affecting the bodies of these truck should really be something you only experience after the truck of any vehicle when the vehicles is 12+ years old. It's 2021, they should be able to build a rust free truck, I know there is always going to be surface rust from road debris, but the stuff that eats through from the inside out should be something of the past ?
If you want to keep an old gen truck, you shd spray rust proofing inside the cab double wall rocker panels, fenders and bed lower panels. I do this by drilling 1 inch holes with a hole saw, spray rust proofing then seal the hole with a 1 inch rubber plug. Do this every 10 years and your truck will last a long time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I started out this year looking to move into a New/Newer pickup, but then there was Covid-19 and the price of a new or newer truck left this solar system. in many cases, a used truck was worth more than a new one since the used one had all it semiconductors, chips ! So after the fifth guy walks up to me at HomeDepot with a offer to buy my old truck, I decide it was time to go back and do the necessary work to my now 31 year old Silverado, New flywheel/flexplate, Removed the trans while doing the flex-plate and changed the fluid and filter and new seals while it was out on the bench, replace my valve cover gaskets and then there was the issue of some tiny rust holes starting to show there existence, (Rocker panels & rust over the back wheels in the bed). So I found a company in Pittsburg PA who sold replacement panels made out of 16 gauge sheet metal, ordered them and then it was time to go to the body shop of a friend of mine, Took better part of 5 weeks but now with the body work done, and a new battery installed, she's back to work and I never owned a truck that the engine idled so smooth you can see ripples in the surface of a cup of coffee sitting on the floor while stopped at a traffic light, but here's my work of the past year, I also installed new duel exhaust and replaced the sliding back window for a single pane stock tinted 15%. And around here it is hard to find a chevy truck only 3-4 years old with what i have on this one I just turned 125,348 last night coming home from Harrisburg PA. I only have a 305 in it but out on the turnpike, it sits right there at 65 MPH and does that all day long uphill or downhill. My wife thinks it's ugly:rolleyes: ???? View attachment 170401 View attachment 170402 View attachment 170403 View attachment 170404
Beautiful truck sir. Looks extremely clean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts