GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my wife backed us right into the front door of a Saab 9.5 and I numerous times almost done the same, I'm considering installing a Rear Parking Assist on my '03 Suburban, 4WD, Z71. Is this possible? What brand do you recommend? Anyone done this? Is it tricky to do yourself? Price? :confused:

TIA

·
Registered
561 Posts
if you do not mind after market ---costco and most RV centers sell one for $100. it is color and comes complete and easy to install some have a wireless camra that goes in place of the liscense plate or has sticky tape to put anywhere. you can wire it so when the car goes into reverse it turns on......mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Let's just say I'm looking for something really good. What type of system is the best considering performance, reliability, sustainability etc?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Take a trip to your nearest automotive audio video store, you can spand as much money as you want, they have cameras and monitors that'll show a speck of pepper on a flys a$$, then look at one of the large chain stores selling video equipment. I think you'll realize for a backup camera you dont need real high resolution, clear as a bell audio, and color pictures. Most backup cameras can only be used on the backup system, you cant jack them into an audio video setup for showing movies from your DVD player, they dont convert the video well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank's.

I was thinking along the lines of the lens not being constantly clogged with dirt or the warning sound beeping all the time of the same reason.

Some hints like "you should buy the XX System. I have it and it really works! And beware of YY. Only trouble with that."

TIA.

:great:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
We have generic ones on our trucks at work (DynPro, and Rear View Video), I've yet to have a problem with the lens being obscured with dirt. Mount it up high and aim it towards the area behind the truck.
Audio is almost useless, on a few of the trucks (gas powered) all you hear is the truck exhaust when the audio is turned on. The diesels have the exhaust exiting up front so you dont hear the exhaust, but we rarely turn the audio on because your looking more for visual cues, the audio can actually be a distraction.
If you trailer anything the camera works great to check your load, especially at night with the NV turned on. And in traffic it gives you a clear view of good looking drivers behind you, or pissed off drivers giving you the bird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts