GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ever happened to all of those additives that was all the rage in the 80's & 90's like Duralube, Prolong, etc.? I know you can still buy them. But those of you that tried the additives, what are your thoughts of them? Do you still use them?

The couple of guys I talked to that did use them wasn't convinced. I am not a big advocate of engine additives, so I don't have any first hand experience with them.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
pro-blend or prolong

Back in the day we used pro-blend additives. We ran a B-Gas dragster that whenever there was "tire shake" on the launch, the stress would toast the ring and pinon. After adding pro-blend to the differential, tire shake wasn't a ring and pinion killer. That was enough to keep us using it in the engine, trans, and diff. I can't find it it local stores, so I usually just opt for pro-long additives.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A good number of them got fined and were banned from advertising by the FTC. In an article I read a few years back FTC looked into their claims and the makers of the additives were not able to prove any of what they claimed in their ads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good number of them got fined and were banned from advertising by the FTC. In an article I read a few years back FTC looked into their claims and the makers of the additives were not able to prove any of what they claimed in their ads.
Now that you mentioned it, I remember someone telling me about that. Extremely hard to believe draining the oil out of the pan and driving around for 2 hours with no problems . . . ya right!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts