GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,934 Posts
I would say a heavier gauge wire is in order. It doesn't sound like it's heat from the bulb so much as amperage draw through too thin a wire. The Easiest way to tell would be leave one normal bulb in one side, and the bulb in question in the other side. Start the vehicle, and let it run for about 10-15 min with DRL on. Put your hand behind the headlamp assy, and feel the heat. The reflective coating should be absorbing most of the heat, and you shouldn't feel much. You could always use a digital thermometer, if you have one to check the temps. If the heat is in the wire only then you have high amps in an inadequate wire.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
I wouldn't go crazy large. You could also go with a double wire on each leg of the original gauge. All you'd be looking to do, is alleviate the resistance in the wire. Using a larger gauge wire is one way, but tagging on a second wire on each leg will work as well too, and keep the harness just as flexible. It isn't really providing a heat sink, because the heat will still be there if it's a bulb heat issue. With long runs of wire, or too thin of wire for the application you create resistance.

Think of it like a river. With 3000gpm flowing. If the river is narrow the flow will be rapid, and tend to erode the riverbank. If it's wider, the flow will not be as rapid, and is less likely to erode the bank away. the flow creates resistance, which causes friction the friction erodes the bank. It's similar to the wire, only the resistance in this case causes heat.

HID lights are out of a lot of peoples financial reach.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
We look forward to your participation on this site.:biggrin:
I'm sure with your background you'll be able to help out a lot.

Even though it's a little late now.... Welcome to the club!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.