GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie, I spent 15 years as a mechanic at a Chevrolet dealer, performing misc elec, HVAC, Trim, windnoise and waterleak repairs. I replaced the headlight bulbs in my daughters 2003 Trailblazer with a set of the 8500k Xenon bulbs that sell on ebay. The first set lasted about 6 months until one burnt out. The wiring at the back of the connector turned brown, I did'nt think anything of it. However about 2 weeks ago I replaced them both and in 2 weeks both the bulbs and the connectors have melted. I replaced the connectors tonight at 13.00 each. My daughter likes these bulbs but I cant think of anything that I can do to use the bulb she wants. I have these bulbs in my car and in my wifes van and both of them work fine. I came to the conclusion that the only difference is my daughter's truck has Daytime Running Lights. I don't think these bulbs can stay on all the time without burning something up. I need to devise some way to use these bulbs without burning bulbs and harness's up. The only thing I can think of is to either disable the DRL's or devise some type of heatsink for the bulbs and wiring. Does anybody have any ideas other than going back to OEM or GE Sylvania's super bulbs ?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The OEM bulbs are 51 watts for low beam and I think 65 watts for hi beam. These bulbs are 80 watts low beam and 100 watts hi beam. Supposedly since they are Xenon gas instead of Halogen they are not supposed to run any hotter than an OEM bulb. I don't even think the Chevrolet Shop Manual will tell what amperage is. (possibly a secret, if Chevy told us they would have to kill us----LOL). I really think it has something to do with the fact that with DRL the lights are on almost all the time (well at least anytime the engine is running). None of the other vehicles in my family have DRL but they all have the same type of bulbs without any ill effects. I do know that a poor connection will alwaysincrease resistance and therefore create heat. But these thingsaremelting on the 12v hot side of the blade inside the bulb housing, What the hey ?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with the heavier wire concept, a larger wire would act as a heat sink to pull the heat away from the connector. I just know that it probably would not be wise to go crazy large possibly from 20 gauge to 18. The fellow at the dealer where my daughter picked up the connectors with the harness' said he had a Trailblazer SS and he had the same problem with bulbs but went with a HID system which is a little out reach financially for my daughter.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the useful input. Some of the automotive sites that I've been to, most of the people on them spend more time fighting with each other or get completely off the automotive subject. So I'll frequent this site and hope that I can help supply some helpful suggestions from my automotive experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.