GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see Bully and Diablo comparing the HP gains from their tunes. What to expect with 87 and 93 octane tunes etc...

Can some of you comment on whether you got gas mileage improvements with these programmers? Under what conditions? How much?

I can get a custom dyno tune to tweak out HP/TQ numbers. They tend to not get the best gas mileage, but do get the most power.

I'm interested in getting the best gas mileage I can commuting on the highway to work. The only time I care about more torque in it would be towing. I don't see it really making enough difference.

Btw, it's 06 Silverado 1500 w/5.3L, 4x4. I get 17 hwy commuting with nothing in it. Yet I get 14 hwy towing my car to the track. That adds 5Klbs behind the truck and about 500lbs of gear in the truck bed.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I have a older Diablo Preditor in my '05 Silverado, it was good for about 1-2mpg. The new Diablo Trinity has a mpg tune along with the performance tunes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Doesnt the predator come with MPG tune now? I saw something on their website about it, i wonder if you have a older preditor but same model number if its tunes are upgradeable.

back to the question, From previous tuners i've used i typically got a 1-3mpg difference if i drove on hwy, however in city i always got the same as stock or worse with tuners. Tuners tend to be a little more aggressive on the acceleration and throttle responses, so expect worse city mpg if your putting a performance tune in.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Yes, the new Preditors also have the MPG tune .

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I have the Superchips tuner and have it programed for MPG's I'm at 15.4 Avg now from day 1 with 64K on my 08 5.3 with 20 in wheels.. Corsa Sport and K&N Cai

·
Registered
413 Posts
that new mileage tune, is NOT a performance tune... it's not performance plus mileage... it's basically the stock GM tune with tweaks made to AFM/DOD, and some other minor things, to get some better mileage, stay in 4 cyl mode more, etc...

but by getting a custom tune done, you can have BOTH - performance AND better mileage... with the same mpg tweaks done...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I have a local tuner who dyno tuned my LS6 and we got good numbers out of it. Along with making it a safe tune for road course use (think constantly living in 4-6Krpm for sustained periods). I have no idea if the gas mileage is actually improved and don't care. He simply cleaned up GMs basic 50-state, jo-blow driver tune. With the benefit of killing the torque management, adjusting coolant on/off temps, etc.

I'll ask him if we can tweak it to get MPG and if we'll see a power rise or drop. I just assumed a multi-tune would be better when you're trying to achieve different things depending on when you drive it. Getting more TQ when I'm towing would be nice but I'm sure that comes at more gas use. Getting it trimmed for everyday commuting where it will barely see 3Krpm and just putt down the highway at 70mph tops.

My 06 doesn't have the variable engine 4-8 cylinder tricks. I think that is only on the very new trucks. I just think 17mpg highway sucks. It can do better since I'm not pushing it, goosing the throttle, or driving so fast that the aero just kills it or the motor is revving too much. It makes no sense when I can get 14mpg towing a load on the same highway at the same speed. So I figured a tuner with multiple tune options would help.

For 2mpg and buying a new tuner that costs $500+ it will take a long time to pay off. So the Trinity is overkill in my mind. I need to basic tunes. Gas mileage for cruising and power for towing. The multi-octane tunes and the like I don't need. I don't run 93 in it, I'm not racing it. It's 90% commuter car and 10% tow mule.

Thanks keep the ideas coming. I can't be the only one who has a few basic needs.

I looked at Superchips and Hypertech a long time ago when I had a C4 Vette. Hypertech was all marketing and little value. I went with custom tune and was much happier. On my C5 Z06 I went straight to dyno tune. Those were all about power and not about mileage. Never dealt with a truck tune until now.

On a side with stock tune this little 5.3 doesn't tow too bad. Struggles through higher elevations getting up the hills. The rest of the way I got better gas mileage than all my buddies towing to the same place with Fords and Dodges. Even the diesels weren't that impressive. But they can go up hills just as fast they go down them ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts