GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The air conditioning on my 2002 3/4 ton won't shut off. When I press the A/C button the light comes on and the air works fine. When I press the button again, the light goes off on the button but the A/C stays on. Sometimes, if I turn off the truck it will stay off when I start the truck again but other times it still stays engaged. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the switch (button) or if the A/C clutch is sticking and won't disengage properly.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check to make sure you don't have your AC set on recirculate, that will sometimes engauge the clutch and keep the AC working.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I will also be on if you are in the defrost setting.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Next time it stays on, pull the AC fuse under the hood. If it stays on, clutch is stuck. Also, is there an AC relay? That could be the culprit sticking closed. If clutch and relay are OK, then I would double check you are not on recirculate or defrost. Go all the way to vent to be sure. The selector switch would be my first suspect. If you can pull the switch so you can disconnect the electrical wires next time it sticks, that should confirm it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a 99 suburban. My AC clutch stays on. I replaced both low/high switches. Also installed new ac module. It's fully charged up ..any clues??

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
As someone said, in this old thread, check the AC relay, see if it releases.
It's probably in the underhood fuse panel, use your finger to feel it operate and release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 99 suburban. My AC clutch stays on. I replaced both low/high switches. Also installed new ac module. It's fully charged up ..any clues??

I've got the same problem with the same truck. Mine won't shut off while driving. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unplug the wiring connector to the AC clutch on the compressor. If it the AC stays on, you have a clutch issue. If the AC does not come on then it's an electrical issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts