GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The regular horn on my 05 Silverado is well weak. I was thinking of installing a whelen electronic air horn in its place but have also seen the plastic trumpet horns that are a little more cost effective. Has anyone used the plastic trumpets? and if so are the worth the effort to install them or should I not waist my time and got with Alum trumpets or the electric horn?

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
The depends on a lot. The little cheapie air horns that have built-in compressors often have a "wind up" sound when you first hit them as the air compressor is spinning up. Personally, I don't like that. The way to combat that is to have a compressor that feeds into an air tank and holds the pressure at the right pressure. This produces the truck "truck/train" air horn sound. However, that can be considerably more exspensive. It's all trade-offs. Personally, I'm either putting a geniune train horn or a replica on my truck with a separate air compressor and tank. Those whelen air horns should produce a firm sound right from the word go when you hit them, just like the police cars. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
372 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have used the cheaper (less expensive) air horns on several of my vehicles in the past. I have never heard the little compressor "wind up", I have always had instant sound. They are a higher pitch than the big trucks horns, but they are effective. I know all about the weak GMC horn...I couldn't hardly hear mine inside the cab with the windows down.

I do want to get the train horns and an onboard compressor. I actually want my compressor under the hood an being driven by an auxillery belt off the engine. I have found the train horns on e-bay for a bit less, and if you don't mind a little blemish, you can get them conciderably cheaper. I also want the onboard air so I can air up my tires again after leaving the beach...too many winter projects....

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I had a few people who have changed the small style air compressor for air conditioning unit over to air compressors for their own air supplies that they use for airing up their tires, or air tanks.

I even built a few air supply tanks for these people in their bumpers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a few people who have changed the small style air compressor for air conditioning unit over to air compressors for their own air supplies that they use for airing up their tires, or air tanks.

I even built a few air supply tanks for these people in their bumpers.
Hadn't even thought of that. Wonder if I could tee off a connection to an air tank? Guess I will be looking under the hood when I get home today!!:great:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
All I can say is don't blast that train horn around me when driving down there road ... i'll freak. :gasp:

·
Banned
372 Posts
I do want to get the train horns and an onboard compressor. I actually want my compressor under the hood an being driven by an auxillery belt off the engine.
That is exacly what I have to manage my air system. I wouldn't have it any other way. No humming electric compressors just a little sound in the engine compartment when the pressure switch turns it on. Its barely noticeable and very quick. It creates enough pressure so that I can also operate all my pneumatic tools off my surburban.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have musical air horns on my truck that play the dukes of hazzard dixie tune... they are plenty loud enough but there is that compressor whine that people were talking about..... they are plastic trumpets and they were easy to install.... the cheaper systems are ok but go big and get the train horns... they are a little expensive but they are loud as **** and worth it if you can afford it

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is exacly what I have to manage my air system. I wouldn't have it any other way. No humming electric compressors just a little sound in the engine compartment when the pressure switch turns it on. Its barely noticeable and very quick. It creates enough pressure so that I can also operate all my pneumatic tools off my surburban.
How do you have it connected? Do you have pictures?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts