GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all I just purchase a set of air horn and attemped to have them hooked up. The horns are 4 trumpet Air Horn that are to produces a Loud Powerful Sound of 135 dB. All the trumpets are chrome plated metal. The base is painted black enamel. This model #T-305 Air Horn Requires An On Board Air System. Comes with a heavy-duty 12 volt electric solenoid mounted on them. But when I had them hooked up the Original horn on the truck was louder. Can someone post a copy of the diagram for hooking this equipment up? thanks

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I think that all those air horns are mandated to be a certain max decibel. They will rarely be louder than the factory horn.

My wife, and I bought air horns for her father's truck as a gift, and his factory horn is louder than the air horns. Not by much, but the sound/tone is much more appealing than the factory horn.

IMO the only way you'll get louder would be to hit eBay for authentic train horns, and in which case the local constable will probably have you remove them since they will be too loud.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but think of all the fun I can have before I get a ticket. Thanks for the info but I am still going to try and get the train horns

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
This model #T-305 Air Horn Requires An On Board Air System.
Is the OBA system included? If so what PSI is it suppling. Low pressure will give a weak sounding horn. Where are you hooking the solenoid power wire to? The solenoid power should come right from the battery, and the trigger from a switch or switched source.
As for Legal issues if you leave the factory horn hooked up and run them from separate buttons you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If you get a train horn, make certain to attach a headlight in the center of your grill that operates seperately from your other lights. Then turn all lights off except the center light and pull up behind someone and lay on the horn.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I put one of those cheap air horns in my fiero a few years ago.

I knew this girl, woman, who worked at the local Wally World. That would jump 2’ in the air if you walked up behind her and said hi.

She walked in front of the car one day as I was just pulling into a parking space.

When I saw her, I just couldn’t resist. So I just laid into the horn for about 5 seconds.

She must have jumped at least 5’ in the air.

She then proceeded to whack me up side the head, after she hit the ground.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I put one of those cheap air horns in my fiero a few years ago.

I knew this girl, woman, who worked at the local Wally World. That would jump 2’ in the air if you walked up behind her and said hi.

She walked in front of the car one day as I was just pulling into a parking space.

When I saw her, I just couldn’t resist. So I just laid into the horn for about 5 seconds.

She must have jumped at least 5’ in the air.

She then proceeded to whack me up side the head, after she hit the ground.
Ahhhhhhhh cheap thrills, the best kind. :biggrin:

·
Registered
561 Posts
i had a honda motorcycle honk at me the other day and his horn was louder than my burbs horn. i been looking at different air horns and i too heard more pressure the louder and i post with what i endup useing but the stocker got to go...mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not just PSI but volume will have a lot to do with it also. A friend has a set of real train horns, he need's to run a good sized air tank to keep up with the volume of air needed and had to mount the horns underneath his GMC dually due to the size of them, a good 4' long. He lives approx. 2 miles away but I can hear'em from my driveway on a good day !

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I looked on ebay for train horns, and all I found were reproductions made to sound like a train horn. Do we have any railroad engineers or technicians on the board that could obtain and sell me an authentic train horn... I have the urge to get up on people's *sses and lay into the horn, just to make 'em jump... :whistle: :sarcastic: :glasses:

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
very nice links TrailLeadr, I'm not too ebay savvy so I apparently didn't hit the right page. On second hand...unless I can find them cheaper, I might just go with the replicas.....cuz I ain't spendin 500+ on a set of genuine horns. :(

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
very nice links TrailLeadr, I'm not too ebay savvy so I apparently didn't hit the right page. On second hand...unless I can find them cheaper, I might just go with the replicas.....cuz I ain't spendin 500+ on a set of genuine horns. :(
They are a little pricey, but you get bragging rights as well as one helluva arrival notification!:great:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
On my Tacoma I have a 5gal tank that fills to 120psi from a VIA air compressor for my OBA system. I have a two horn air horn plumbed from the tank, man it gets loud when you hit the button, I can even make the truck drivers look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the feed back but to answer your questions no there was no air tank included just a small 12V compressor. I need to purchase a small tank but I have not seen anything under 3 gallons. As for the center headlight Man your going to get me locked up because as soon as I read that I started thinking about how to make it work. I took it to someone to have them do the hook up but I would like to set it up myself so if any one out there can lay it out in a diagram please post it. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Gotta have a tank for your "Tank"

You can get a 1.5gal tank and compressor at carcoverkingdom.com
it will set you back $270 but you will not get the sweet sound you are looking for without a compressor and tank. To save space under the hood, you could mount the tank under the burb on the frame rails.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts