GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to get an intake system for my 4.8 07 silverado. I've been leaning to the AEM one because it has the dryflow filter that you don't have to oil. It's pretty good price too. But my question is which one do you guys have installed on on what size motor? Did you like it? Hate it?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
There have been other topics on this, let me search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
K&N is by far the best. The dry filter still has to be cleaned, however, those instructions are not readly available. Secondly, the dry filter does NOT filter as well as the K&N.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I installed a K&N FIPK intake on both my wife's 2001 Suburban w/5.3 Vortec, as well as my 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 and they both increased performance. I was doing some research on which intake to buy for my 2006 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 w/Duramax and this is what I learned about choosing for a Diesel. I'm sure the filter properties and or performance should be the same with different applications (gas or diesel).

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=2162814

AFE with the Proguard 7 filter did the best job in the test so that's what I ordered.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Good luck with the filter. Do let us know what your thoughts are about it after you've driven with it a while.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Everybody is going to tell you a K and N because everybody has one because it is the only advertised filter company and they have been around for so long that everybody has heard of them. I would recommend the Volant CAI. I did a lot of looking round when I was trying to decide on one and the Volant was the only CAI which is totally enclosed so it will only get fresh cold air from outside of the engine bay. Also cool about the Volant is that you can buy a ram air intake tube for it that goes from the air box to behind one of your tow hooks. On Two Guys Garage they tested a Volant and gained like 20 HP. I believe the video of that part of the episode is on Volant's website. Also, I believe it comes wih a dry filter that you don't have to oil. Whichever one you pick, I think they all have about the same thing to offer, a filter with a plastic tube. Just make sure to get one with the plastic tube, not metal, because of heat transfer.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Everybody is going to tell you a K and N because everybody has one because it is the only advertised filter company and they have been around for so long that everybody has heard of them. I would recommend the Volant CAI. I did a lot of looking round when I was trying to decide on one and the Volant was the only CAI which is totally enclosed so it will only get fresh cold air from outside of the engine bay. Also cool about the Volant is that you can buy a ram air intake tube for it that goes from the air box to behind one of your tow hooks. On Two Guys Garage they tested a Volant and gained like 20 HP. I believe the video of that part of the episode is on Volant's website. Also, I believe it comes wih a dry filter that you don't have to oil. Whichever one you pick, I think they all have about the same thing to offer, a filter with a plastic tube. Just make sure to get one with the plastic tube, not metal, because of heat transfer.

That just isnt true my K&n comes with the option to be fully enclosed. And it comes with a plastic tube. I love my k&n and for the money i paid it was a great price.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That just isnt true my K&n comes with the option to be fully enclosed..
Does it have a cover for the top or just the shield on the side?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Gotta agree with mjalstad, the Volant is great intake I had one on my '94 Sierra and was very happy with it, can't offer an opinion on the K&N because I've never owned one. :glasses:

·
Registered
151 Posts
i was lookin at a volant but i havent heard of them before i saw one in the showroom at the performance store. i could easily drop to much money there lol. did you put it in yourself? was it worth the price. i didnt see a price on it and i didnt have time to ask what it was. have you noticed any down sides to it at all? or is it all good?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My experience was all good, installation , performance, maintenance etc. and most speed shops want around $400 whilst I've seen 'em new in box on ebay for as low as $275 . they also have a new "Powercore " oilless filter if you prefer the oilless route

·
Registered
232 Posts
i was lookin at a volant but i havent heard of them before i saw one in the showroom at the performance store. i could easily drop to much money there lol. did you put it in yourself? was it worth the price. i didnt see a price on it and i didnt have time to ask what it was. have you noticed any down sides to it at all? or is it all good?
I had heard of volant before I got my intake but I'm not sure where. I put it in myself and it was pretty simple. The ram air intake tube made it a lot tougher since it hit the inside of the front fender. With it being enclosed, I like the sound of it much better than the K&N I had on my old Suburban. You can barely tell it's there from the sound of it until you romp on it and it makes a really nice deep throaty sound. My K&N that I had mad a loud sucking sound even at idle that made my truck sound like something was wrong with it. I got the intake on ebay for $240 shipped and got the intake tube for an extra $90 on ebay. Have not found any downsides to it yet, it's all good.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
INJEN Gasoline Air Intake Systems

You may also want to consider the INJEN Gasoline Air Intake System. INJEN/AMSOIL Power-Flow Gasoline Intake Systems feature AMSOIL Ea Air Filters with Nanofiber Technology. This offers state-of-the-art filter efficiency while providing excellent protection and air flow.
Product Code: PF7050P-EA

Let me know if I can help you out.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does it have a cover for the top or just the shield on the side?

It has a cover for the top. It gives you the option if you are running ram air you can leave the lid off and let the ram air come in . It also has a top on it. I run mine with the top off but ill put it on tomorrow and take a pic. I was planning on putting it back on anyways.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I currently have an S&B intake on my 04' 5.3L and this is the best system I have had. I had a K&N but the S&B is a much cleaner setup and the filter is enclosed. This system is also about $30 cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My experience with K&N's is that they let a ton of crap through the filter. From a filtering stand point, there are a lot better filters out there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey bud I have been thinkin about this for my 09'. I had did an online chat with www.stylintrucks.com and the guy told me if money is not an issue go with Volant air intake. And he also advised if you really want kick ass power add the throttle body spacer and mass air flow sensor. That is the move I am going to make. The volant system also looks cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts