GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seen a few questions on Air Lift coil airbags. i just replaced mine, but it is on a motorhome (same process and it is a chevy) i can do a writeup or answer any questions. 1st and easy @60 PSI the front end came up 4" and the motor home leveled out alot. it drives so much better. and this has made me look differently ait air coil bags. if you want a write up just post the request or i let it go here and goto the RV site and then link here to there--i like to do it here and link there to our site......lol...mike

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I used a set on a mini-van. Really helped balance the ride height. It handled better when loaded too.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Please give us the write-up! :) I've been looking at adding air bags on my sub for better load handling and such. My questions is, how do the air lift bags work with suspension lift kits, or if at all? I want to lift the sub 4 inches, and I think I'd have the bags extended too far. I'm fairly familiar with 18-wheeler style airbags and how they work on 18-wheeleres, but I'm not sure if Firestone or another comparable company has thought about people with small lifts like me... Hrmm, more research to do I guess

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok- i called Airlift and they said you can use an alum spacer or high inpact plactic spacer or goto thier site and see if ther is a premade bag long enough or they can make what ever you like for your application.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/OriginalEquipment/ESOLUTION/catalog.html
ok here is the install as i did it.
i drove the motr home with these installed last night----what a difference. it was day vrs night. it rides almost like a cadilac....lol
i got the correct airbag kit for my application. my case 81560

here was a picture of the old bag. it was damaged and needed to be replaced. i am not sure how long they lasted but this is a 1982 unit and they been dead for as long as i knew of.

this bag the air line was hanging disconnected. this may have been the only thing wrong with this side but isince i did not know when or how these went out replacing was the best for me and $60 was orth replacing not trying to fix what was unknown.

this is where there maybe a difference if you have to follow the directions ( i think the install is the same.) i used a 1 1/2 hole saw with the center bit removed and i drilled out the bottom so i could deflate the old bag. onces the hole was in place i pushed the bag to the top of the spring to remove the bottom mounting disc. i then removed the disc and used a set of vise grips and locked on the bottom lip of the bag and rolled the grips si it would twist the bag into a smaller sizeand pulled it out the bottom of the lower control arm. i then removed the top ring and air line. here is the old air lift bag.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is the new airbag and air line and the insall discs and the old bag.

i put some wheel bearing grease on the hole in the lower control arm to aid in the install of the new bag. i deflated the bag as the instructions stated. i then made the top look pointed so it go in the hole easier. remember to put a few dabs of grease on the top of the bag and install the ring when the bag is 1/2 way installed (failure to do this will not stop life but it will add 2 hours to the install and lots of frustration. you got to work the top disc in fighting the spring)

then run the air lines so they will not get caught in anything or moving parts and secure it to the frame.

i did not like the old air fill location so a found a better spot on the sub frame. iall i have to do is drill a hole on the drivers side.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now fill to 60 PSI and let sit for 24 hours to check for leaks. this alone lifted the front pass side up 4".

here is the drivers side airbag. it came out the same way as the pass side.

you can see here is the beast no air bag and all the weight on the wheel. these sagged real bad.

here is the new driver side bag and line and install discs

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i added the bag and the lower line as done on the pass side.

again secure the air line out of way of things

my beast was so grimmy i did a fast wash and then drilled the hole for the air line fille in the other end of the sub frame.

i set the beast back on the ground and set the bags to 60 PSI each. i then took her for a drive and see if anything settled. the ride was smother and the front end was 4" taller than it was before the swap. there was alot less "Rake" in the motor home. the bag say i can fill to 80 PSI but i try 60 for now and see how it does. i need to go out and verify they are still at 60PSI if not troubleshoot air leak in the book. if i had to do it again i would for the results i got..........Mike

·
Banned
372 Posts
Yeah you are right. They do ride like a Caddy. I love my bags. Personally, I have had Firestone 2600s but then I changed to Slam Specialties RE8s. The slams gave me a lot more lift and they are a bit more sturdy.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I was thinking about the whole air ride on a lifted truck, and I came up with 2 things. The first is that I shouldn't need custom length bags for the front, since the 4" lift will be achieved with lift spindles (http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_2wd_88-98_4.html). Am I correct in thinking this? The second thing I thought about was "do I really want to do this?". I will be lifting the truck, and eventually putting bigger tires on. This means that I am going to probably take it off-road. Now, the off-road I talk about isn't mudding or anything of the medium to extreme, but I won't be on pavement all the time. I may run over items inadvertedly like tree branches, which may yank or otherwise damage the air lines. Do ya'll think I can adequately protect the lines so that I can reduce the probability to killing a line will be minimal? I think I can understand and accept the risk of occasionally losing an air line to a tree branch or something, they're pretty easy to fix, and not ciritcal. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i do beleave you can rout the lines to protect them maybe take some angle iron and make a cover for any exposed lines? with your lift since the springs are stock you could use the stock kit. i been thinking of getting a set off a tractor trailer and seeing if i coul make my own air lift and ride kit this will be adjustable and allow tossing the leaf springs in back and the coils in front....mike

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
There is a company that makes air ride kits for smaller trucks like the Sub and pickups that completley replace the factory springs, just like they do it with 18-wheelers. They use a real interesting third-class lever. I don't remember the name of the company, or the website, but I know it was mentioned about in a thread here in relation to air ride systems. I thought about it, but I can't justify getting stranded somewhere because I blew a bag, or an air line. I imagine a lift at least for the rear could be achieved by using taller than normal bags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts