GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/C on my 96 Suburban isnt getting as cold as it should.
The compressor turns on and off like it should. Low side pressure reads 45psi, high side pressure reads 200psi. The rear vents blow a little cold but the front vents are ambient air temp. I cant find my thermometer so I dont know the specific vent air temp. The amount of air blowing from the vents is sufficient, just not cold.
I havent serviced the system lately so I dont suspect moisture.
Anyone got any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Do the pipes under the hood get covered with frost when the system is running?

If not you may not have enough Freon in the system. I don’t know a lot about the ac systems on these, except that there are 2 separate systems. Front and rear have their own tanks for Freon.

The tank in the back is on the opposite side of the spare tire under the trim.

The front system is under the hood.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the pipes are covered with insulation so without removing it I cant see them. But 45-50 Psi on the low side and 200 to 230psi on the high side is supposed to be fully serviced. I am getting condensation off the evaporator, so I assume things are cooling down in the system.
I guess I need to check the doors for the heater exchangerl to make sure they arent opening for some reason.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I'm leaning towards. I'll find out this weekend when I tear into the system under the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts