GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having problems keeping a set of tires on the front end for more than 6 months at a time.... getting sick of balding the inside so soon, both driver and passenger; the passenger being twice as bad as the driver side. The car is an '84 cutlas. Just trying to get some insight on going about aligning this problem...

matt

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Some ideas for you:
How are the struts, do they lean or are they worn badly?
How good are the tie rod ends, any wobble when driing or are they loose when parked?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it basically one of those 2 things? i guess ill have to check if the tie rods are loose or not, but when briefly looking earlier today, it didnt look like the struts were worn out to bad... i know the car sits too low at the back because of worn out springs. it is the inside treads of the tires that are getting worn, so im assuming that means that they are pointing outwards too much. this is adjusted with the tie rod ends, correct?

matt

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Those are the two most common items that cause the problem your having. Camber, the tilt of the tire compared to a vertical line. And Toe-in/toe-out, the angle the tires are pointing when steered in a straight line.
The rear springs being badly worn could cause some of this problem also. That car uses struts in the rear if I remember correctly. Unloading of the front suspension by weight shift from the rear would cause a little tire wear problem, but not to the degree your having.

For the tie rod ends try to wiggle them, see if the move. Place the front wheels straight, then take a tape measure and measure midway up the center of the on the front of the tire tread to the same spot on the other front tire, do the same on the backside of the front tires. Compare your measurements, they should be close to each other, a few 16ths off is fine as most cars are set-up with a few degrees of toe-in, if you measureing a difference of inches you have to much toe-in or toe-out.
For camber make sure the cars parked on flat ground and use a level against the side of the tire/wheel it won te perfectly level but should be with-in a few degrees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well went out and bought springs for the front and for the rear, and all new shocks aswell. they will be in tomorrow. for now im going to get a couple new tires put on and do the toe alignment. i appreciate your insight. i have one other problem i want to ask you: do you know anything about speedometer or odometer not working? it quit last weekend. i believe it is kinetic on this car, not electronic. the gas gage, however, is electronic, as i have already replaced a fuse for it once. let me know what you think

matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts