GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,500 Posts
I would think not terribly hot. The coil is on all the time, so there will be some thermal conductivity. What if you swap relays with another one? There are two others in that photo that would work.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I just came home from home depot, open hood, open fuse box, felt fuel pump relay, it's cool.
Not even warm.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

Swapped out relays with the one for the DRLs I've had floating around in the fuse box unplugged for a while. Temperature seemed to warm up consistent with the original. Does not seem to be a problem there. After about an hour of driving, it's temperature is consistent with the units around it. Seems normal.

I had the PCM unplugged for over an hour before hooking it back up. I drove around at various speeds, various acceleration intensities, etc. trying to induce a CEL for almost an hour. Never came on. Truck ran great. Never stuttered. Never shuddered. Just ran. It doesn't idle 100% silky, but it's not chugging and stuttering now.

I'm going to guess the PCM is reset to factory settings. I'm sure as the sensors start contributing, things will start to go sideways again. Maybe if I can catch it early, I'll know where I need to start. Thinking O2 sensors...

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
It's going to be warm, not burn fingers hot.

Edit: I typed this not realizing there were more posts and that you had answered it yourself.

Sounds like your getting there Jacob.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No news on the home front, yet. We had a mini-superspreader event with the common cold in my house (4/5 victims, including me). I haven't gotten to go for any more test drives. ☹

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
because you removed the PCM connectors then put it back on and then the engine runs better..
use a electronic contact cleaner or MAF cleaner to clean up the PCM pins and the connector pins...
last week I fixed a 1960 scott tube amplifier ...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update:
Truck ran like a dog today on the way to town. O2 sensor codes and serious miss on cylinder 1. Shut it down on the side of the road, pulled the codes, and carried on my way. Ran great for the next 4 hours. Responsive, powerful, etc. Couple rain induced burnouts and what not because my inner child said "Do it!"

Bought MAF cleaner and fuel test kit today. Pulled the MAF and cleaned it (correctly) when I got home for fun. Pics below. Might replace later because of corrosion, but no codes, yet. Fuel pressure checked out and didn't trickle off, so no leaky injector and good pump.

Started after the cylinder 1 miss. Once I removed the spark plug on cylinder 1 with no tools, I determined I may have discovered a problem... Currently in the process of checking all the plugs before going on a test ride.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Now seeing this graphic, I unscrewed cylinder 2 by hand...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
the fuel pressure is normal 57psi.. the MAF sensor had water in it .. could be an electronic issue .. the MAF has components that should not be wet /water..
the MAF sensors very small across the wires looked good. ..
so spark plugs you inspected them ..?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
so spark plugs you inspected them ..?
I inspected #2 and it looked good. I did not pull all of them. I did verify the rest were right. Getting dark out and I'm in the yard with the kids. Pulling and inspecting all of them will have to wait until another time. May just go ahead and change them... Thinks it's time, anyway.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
the MAF sensor had water in it .. could be an electronic issue .. the MAF has components that should not be wet /water..
Yeah...I sunk the truck (hence the name Moses) about 8 years ago. I'm sure the MAF has been wet.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update: Went for a quick test drive. Noticeable improvement in performance. Will take out tomorrow for longer run to see what I come up with. Next issue is I think my E-brake is dragging...

Edit: Based on smell, not speed.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I had to replace the parking brake cable on the pass side park brake .. the cable runs across the rear diff and it had the cable covering worn then rust binds up the cable.. disconnect the cable and see if it is not moving easy then replace it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Instead of the test drive, I did the front driveshaft u-joints I've had sitting there for a while. One of the weird noises is gone, the vibration at 40 mph is gone, and there is less slop when engaging the 4wd. Quick win for the day.

While I was down there, I noticed some new wear marks on the front driveshaft. (new marks = the dirt rubbed off) Turns out the O2 sensors are going bonkers because the wires for the drivers front have been completely worn through by rubbing on the spinning shaft.

Checked the cats themselves and they are toast. Basically a baby rattle. I will be saving my pennies for a new Y-pipe with the cats and (4x) O2 sensors...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I had to replace the parking brake cable on the pass side park brake .. the cable runs across the rear diff and it had the cable covering worn then rust binds up the cable.. disconnect the cable and see if it is not moving easy then replace it.
I'm inclined to think my u-shaped pads have fallen inside the drum, again. Hopefully my custom fabricated brackets are still holding and I'm out a brake cable instead 2 rear rotors, again... 😬

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah those parking brake shoes are notorious for brake lining separation. It locked up my rear passenger tire. Thought my rear diff locked up. Scared the s#@t out of me.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
well my 2000 silverado 15K miles on it, park brake pads failed.. went to dealership .. park brake did not work opened it up pads worn I never used park brake.. GM said you will have to pay for the replacement of the park brake pads it was $100.. back in 2001.. so I did the work and the retainer clip is a gm POS.. I manufactured the clip to keep the shoes from flopping .. I put the park brake pedal down often to check it out , and the park brakes worked no wear I replace the shoes in 2001 and they still work no wear.
10 YEARS AGO GM WAS SUED BECAUSE OF THE PARK BRAKE LAWSUIT.. GM ONLY MODIFIED THE STANDARD TRANSMISSION TRUCKS LOL.................. GM IS pos...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update: 4x O2 sensors in a box waiting for the new Y-pipe and cats to arrive. Bought a schnazzy O2 sensor tool, only to realize I can change these out on a bench with a standard wrench. 🤦‍♀️

No ETA from Amazon, but I'm ready and waiting.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Pulled the codes today just to see what was going on. Still waiting for the cats to get here. Only codes were one knock sensor and the severed O2 sensor. Making progress!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

It's been a minute, but they're going in.

4x Bosch O2 sensor
New cats

Found 1 severed sensor and 1 unhooked sensor. Opposite banks. I'm also thinking the old cats don't rattle with them out of the truck. Oh, well. Now they're new. 😎

21 - 40 of 50 Posts