GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 NBS Vmax with a 6" lift and 35"s on 17" atx thugs with I think 15mm of offset (the most I could get) anyways the truck vibrates quite abit on the highway from 40MPH+. It did this with my old wheel/tire setup and I bought my new wheel/tire combo from 4 wheel parts with the high speed balancing so I assume thats not my problem. Anyways my diver side tire rubs on the front of my fender when backing up with the wheels cut hard over. The passenger side does not. I dunno if thats a big deal or not but I found it strange. I was wondering if that may mean I need an alignment. My old tires were 345s and they seem to wear evenly so I figured if it was an alignment I wouldve noticed it on my tires, ecspecially them being that wide. Any input would be appreciated on whats causing the vibration and why one tire rubs and the other does not.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I don't know if an alignment will solve your problem, but I do know that anytime I mess with the front suspension, tire changes, etc. I ALWAYS get an alignment afterwards. One time, they found I had broken both of my ball joints (or they were completely worn), which I probably would have never noticed on my own, but then again, I would have not known what to look for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had both wheel bearings replaced under warenty last week, I was hoping that was causing my vibration but apparently not. Maybe I oughta bring it back to the dealer and get someone to take it for a test drive...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
What type of lift (manufacture) do you have. It sounds like the drive shaft angle may be off. Did you install the lift? I've seen shops cut corners on lifting the rear of trucks resulting in the drive shaft angle being off. As far as tires rubbing on one side and not on the other believe it or not thats not uncommon. Don't worry about it. My '05 Z-71 with 6" lift and 35's has been that way since '05 when I lifted the truck. One other thing. If your truck has full time 4x4 some lift kits require a new front drive shaft with a extra CV joint for speeds over 40mph.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

I forgot, have you checked your U-joints?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a fabtechit was advertised a 7" lift but as far as I know fabtech doesnt make a 7" lift so I assume its a 6", I bought the truck with the lift and the vibration but just associated it to having a lifted truck with big tires. A couple of my friends have pointed it out to me lately so I thought I'd look into it. He said the lift was put in by a good shop and I cant see him spending 50K+ on a new truck then not getting a proper shop to install it. When my wheel bearing went it literally went from being fine to the worst grinding scraping noise you can imagine and I checked the U-joints when I was trying to figure out what the noise might be, they were fine. The vibration doesn't really bother me and I dont even notice it until somebody mentions it.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
If you can go under your truck and look at the back of the transfer case, theres a round plate with the transfer case model #. As I mentioned before some manufactures require a modified/new front drive shaft with the full time 4x4's.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I looked back at some of my notes and your truck (I assume its a 1500) does not need a new drive shaft with your lift. Some of the manufactures lift kits need a modified driveshaft if they have Autotrac, but the Fabtech kit doesn't.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I would bet it was done on the cheap or by a inexperianced individual and the angles werent adjusted correctly, this can stress all suspension components along with the driveshafts and u-joints. Also check your driveshafts, if this truck was lifted that much the previous owner may have actually done some offraoding and the driveshafts could be out of balance, there should be little tabs on them just like on rims that balance them. Honestly this is a good reason to never buy a used lifted modern day truck, you just dont know what morons (even dealerships) have done to save on the high cost of IFS lifts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts