GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about anybody elses experience with alternators in the suburbans. I just lost #2 today since I bought the truck in '98. I suppose thats not too bad its an easy fix. Just wondering what other folks are using for replacements. Maybe its time for a dual altenator rig ;-)

More power has to be better right?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just went ahead and replaced it with the 105 amp OEM replacment ($95 from AutoZone with a life time warranty). The dual job will have to come later I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I've never really gone through alternators on any GM vehicle that I've ever owned, except for my wife's old Pontiac Sunfire. That thing went through alts like every 12 months.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
...oh and I had a couple of fords (my my youth) that needed alternators frequently too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up haveing to replace my replacement, it was charging low so I took it back out to AutoZone and got a different model. Still the 105 but a different part #. Still lifetime warrenty for $95, not a bad deal.

I still am curious about those dual units. With all the fancy stuff that you can add to these trucks nowadays, might be a good idea to have some extra power to distribute. Any stereo buffs out there with the dual alt/dual battery setup?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I've seen it done. Some motorhomes have dual alternators as well as a full generator to get the batteries back up to full charge asap.

Glad to hear that you got your alternator swapped out still with the lifetime.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
That Sunfire, and your Fords....were those all standard tranny?
Higher revs usually will kill off an alt pretty quick. I used to hot rod around in my hatchback omni, and I used to go through voltage regualtors like water. Almost every 8-10 months or so.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Well, I had a 5.0 mustang that was built a little bit with a standard transmission. The Sunfire was an automatic 3-speed. She drives a Caviliar now that is a 4-speed auto which is much nicer, keeps the RPMs down quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I was just looking through the catalog for CKresto and they have an option for 180 and 200 Amp alt's.
Overkill??? I'm sure it could be used up quite nicely with the right audio accessories. :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dual alternators have an advantage at lower rpm's/idle/stopped in gear with higher output than a single alternator in the same conditions. This is handy when running high output audio and DVD entertainment systems as well as any additional exterior lighting.
Ron :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw those higher amp alts also, the guy at AutoZone said they would not drop in so I just replaced with the eom, under the assumption that if I am going to spend the time to do it custom I will use duals.

Sounds like Ron might have a little experience in this area, maybe we can convince him to give us a run down.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I just found out that the last time the alt was replaced, it was from a 120 to a 105. My needle takes a nose dive when I run the rear A/C, and headlights at the same time. (State law...headlights must be on when trailering.) So I'm going to be replacing the alt with either the 120 again, or maybe I could be convinced that dual Alts are the way to go.

If you could tell us more, that would be great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easiest way to install dual alternators is to buy one of the available kits. this saves the hassle of fabricating mounting brackets, makes for a nice clean installation.
There is nothing more frustrating than running various accessories at the same time and the charging system can't keep up with the load placed on it.
Ron :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I would like to see one of these. Anyone have a photo of it?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I have a 107 amp AC Delco replacementin my Suburban. My burban is wired with all sorts of emergency lighting and communications gear. When I come to a stop in the rain at night with the turn signals on with the front and rear air on full blast and the wipers running while transmitting on the two-way radio, my voltage never drops below 13.7 volts

If you hear nothing else I say, Make sure to hear this: AC Delco.

NEVER buy a starter or alternator with a "lifetime warranty" from Auto-Zone, Advance Auto, etc. Their house brands SUCK! They are JUNK! They are "re-built" in a sweat shop-type factory where more than half of them don't even meet spec before being boxed up and shipped out.

Fix it once, and fix it right, I say. Buy the Delco the first time, and "Fuhgettaboutitt!"

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
AC Delco is good stuff, but.....

moogvo said:
I have a 107 amp AC Delco replacementin my Suburban. My burban is wired with all sorts of emergency lighting and communications gear. When I come to a stop in the rain at night with the turn signals on with the front and rear air on full blast and the wipers running while transmitting on the two-way radio, my voltage never drops below 13.7 volts

If you hear nothing else I say, Make sure to hear this: AC Delco.

NEVER buy a starter or alternator with a "lifetime warranty" from Auto-Zone, Advance Auto, etc. Their house brands SUCK! They are JUNK! They are "re-built" in a sweat shop-type factory where more than half of them don't even meet spec before being boxed up and shipped out.

Fix it once, and fix it right, I say. Buy the Delco the first time, and "Fuhgettaboutitt!"
I don't disagree that AC-Delco sells a quality product, but I've been on the floor of a couple of very good component rebuilders. A good rebuilder can't afford a high return rate. Shipping costs alone would eat into their bottom line. New bearings, brushes, diodes are pretty commonplace. The case, and the stator really don't require replacement so they are cleaned, tested and reused.

Every good shop protects its reputation by a rigorous testing program. Like I said, it's cheaper to build a quality product that to pay to ship it back and forth. The major chains watch their return rate and a competitive supplier is always looking to steal your contract with them.

A big problem the major chain stores have is taking back an rebuilt part that is OK. A DIY'er that thinks his electrical woes are caused by a bad alternator can whine to the parts clerk who finds it easier to swap the unit out that argue with the customer or help them correctly diagnose the trouble.

A lifetime warranty is nothing to sneeze at. An alternator is a simple 30 minute job to replace on most cars. If you change your vehicle every couple of years then it doesn't make a difference. As for me I'm keeping my burb til the wheels fall off, so a $100 for a lifetime alternator is a bargain.

Yes, junk is junk, and your experience may vary, but I don't have a problem buying rebuilt parts from a major retailer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.