GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that its over 90 degrees everyday my amp overheats after like 20 mins unless i keep my rear seat up. is there any kind of small fan or something i can add to keep it cool?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
now that its over 90 degrees everyday my amp overheats after like 20 mins unless i keep my rear seat up. is there any kind of small fan or something i can add to keep it cool?
They do sell fans.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i439_cooling-fans.html

I wouldnt say its normal for that amp to go in to protection mode due to heat under the seat. I had my amp originally on the back wall behind the rear set until I did the blow through...now its under the rear bench seat. And the interior of my truck can be 120+ on summer days here in Tucson.

You may want to see how you have the subs wired and at what "ohm" load you have them wired at. If they are wired for an ohm load your amp isnt rated for the amp is going to heat up and shut down.

Is it the set up you have in your sig?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Do you have the amp upside down? Some amps do have to lay flat right side up for the cooling fins to work the best..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Do you have the amp upside down? Some amps do have to lay flat right side up for the cooling fins to work the best..
I would not have thought of that....does that happen?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
On a few amps yes.. remember Heat raises and the cooling fins are mostly on top... I do have to say when I had my old Av and the JL Audio 300/4 and 500/1 were in my doors, I played them for many hours at shows at full power and never a problem Even when I was in Daytona for a show and the Sun was beating down on them for up to 5 Hr's...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
On a few amps yes.. remember Heat raises and the cooling fins are mostly on top... I do have to say when I had my old Av and the JL Audio 300/4 and 500/1 were in my doors, I played them for many hours at shows at full power and never a problem Even when I was in Daytona for a show and the Sun was beating down on them for up to 5 Hr's...

I have never seen anyone install an amp upside down...that just seems like an odd thing to do!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have never seen anyone install an amp upside down...that just seems like an odd thing to do!
Well you could mount it upside down, on the bottom of a seat, so that when you slide (or raise) the seats, the amp moves too. Of course, it's not a good idea, because of the mentioned heat issue, but I have seen people do similar things before. Same reason you shouldn't set a laptop on a cushy surface like carpet or a couch. Impedes the air flow as they have venting on the bottom, and causes it to overheat more quickly, and reduces the lifespan of it. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
You may want to see how you have the subs wired and at what "ohm" load you have them wired at. If they are wired for an ohm load your amp isnt rated for the amp is going to heat up and shut down.
Thats what I was thinking. I had my amps under my rear bench seat when i had a system and they never over heated even when it was over 100.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my amp is mounted to the box and fits extremely close to the rear seat when its folded down. ( i have the subthump 2 10 w/ amprack box for 99-07 ex cab chevys) i know that the seat holds a lot of heat down there and there isnt much air flow.....thats why i was thinkin of adding an extra fan to blow around the amp.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It would not hurt to add a fan.....sooner or later the heat will ruin the amp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts