GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil tonight and am sending it in to blackstone-labs.com. They do a particulate analysis on the oil and tell you the "health" of your motor. Sounds interesting for $20, a guy I work with does this every other oil change with his suburu tuner and says they pick up everything.

If anybody as tried this let me know, I will post my results after I get them back.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Never tried it but I am curious. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go out the web page they will send you a test submission kit. Basically a plastic jar inside another plastic jar and that goes inside a heavy cardboard tube and that goes in a box. They say they meet any criteria for shipping hazardous materials.

Bascially when you change the old you take a sample, send it in with your $20 and they analyze it and send you a report.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've done this at work to identify difinitively for a customer that th impact to their rear bumper certainly did not cause the transmission to go out, it was the 200k with no service that caused their trans to go out. Pretty neat, the report is cool too.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd be too concerned to learn that my engine is on it's last leg....Ignorance is bliss for me....well for now. When I have the time and $$ to fix what needs fixing, then I'd have that test done, but it would just cause undue stress if I knew that every time I started my burban I was driving the nail a little deeper into the coffin. especially since I've been sensing that the engine is getting a little tired lately. Otherwise the test sounds really cool. Also seems worth it for the price.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
OldDiesel said:
I've done this at work to identify difinitively for a customer that th impact to their rear bumper certainly did not cause the transmission to go out, it was the 200k with no service that caused their trans to go out. Pretty neat, the report is cool too.
HAHA. Some people are so cheap the don't understand the concept of "cost of ownership". They probably don't register their car on time and they cheat on their taxes as well.

G

·
0 Posts
HEY! Wait...ummmm no. that's definately not me. :lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and it's definately not just cars and taxes. I've got customer's at the bank who are always looking to cheat the system.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TrailLeadr said:
HEY! Wait...ummmm no. that's definately not me. :lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and it's definately not just cars and taxes. I've got customer's at the bank who are always looking to cheat the system.
You work at the bank, I work for an insurance company... Daily we see people trying to get something for nothing.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I work at a software company, people want to get our (expensive) software at a discount with no training and no conversion time, etc. Then they call up and want their money back after 6 week becuase they don't understand the system.

ARGH. It's all cost of ownership. You have to buy gas, oil, filters, wipers, tires, replacement parts, registration, insurance, etc. That's why so many businesses fail in this country, people don't plan ahead for these things and they run out of money.

G

·
0 Posts
Steve can you pay me to try your software, with no training, and also can you be my permenant help desk at any hour of the night???? PLEASE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I work for the most disorganized bank. I think it's mostly due to the fact that we're owned by an insurance company. Nothing against ins co's, but they don't have any business in the banking industry.

Sometimes I feel like I come to work just to fix everyone else's mistakes....oh wait, that IS what I do.

so enough of my whining.....

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Typically beta testers do pay us, but they get the benefit of trying it out early and we throw in a freebie or extra user licenses or whatever.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got it back today in the mail.....

Supposedly they send an email version but I think my software "spam guarded" me and dumped it. I will try and scan it tonight and get it online tomorrow.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Oh, I hate when that happens. I get about 50-100 spams per day for the general box that I run off of the websites. :-( Makes it tough if you skip a day to go through a couple hundred emails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used blackstone in the past when I owned a diesel truck. It identifies trends after several tests to see if you have unusual wear. The types and amounts of metal found can identify what is wearing. It can also determine how will your intake system is filtering by the amount of silicate or silicone (I can't remember) in the oil. Good info but it shows what we already know...change your oil on a regular basis and use a quality product.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Did it ever come through? i'm curious to see what it found. I've been thinking of something like this like once per year maybe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dose the report tell you if you should change your oil more or less often? I remember reading a report about a trucking out fit that would send a sample in at regular intervles and the report would tell them if the viscosity of the oil was braking down. Once it reach it's max they would recomend a change. For what it costs to by 5 quarts it wouldn't make any sence to me, but if your talking 3 gallons at a time it might be worth it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still working on this, the scanner bulb on my hp all in one crapped out, I need to pick up a new scanner. Sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still working on this, the scanner bulb on my hp all in one crapped out, I need to pick up a new scanner. Sorry for the delay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.