GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive read through a bunch of posts but the answer seems unclear to me. Today my battery was barely turning my truck over so i went and grabbed a new battery stuffed it in, beautiful fired right up.

Ive had heat issues and im a boat mechanic sooooooo i stare at the gauges more than the road honestly. She's getting old.

2004 gmc Sierra 5.3L with 400k miles

I baby the sh!!t out of it.

So i was driving after putting the new battery in and watched the gauge drop down to 160. So now my hearts in my throat please don't die on me now!

I pulled over hopped out and started looking all over for a leak broken belt whatever just start looking all over the place. She's fine. Running fine. Not any hotter than usual. Im under the hood checking fluids coolant level etc at least once a week I'm a freak about maintenance.

I search online installing new batteries apparently has caused this for many others.

I disconnected the battery for 45 minutes.

Fire the truck up gauge starts going up again i think im good, 5 minutes later it drops to 160 again. It's not going back to the resting position as if the gauge isnt coming on. It's sitting at 160.

Ive read to short the cables together but i don't know if i should or want to do that. Probably won't have any issues but what would that do? Don't answer that.

What's the process that has worked for others? Also, does anyone know what's actually happening to cause this problem?

Thanks in advance
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well i know I'm new and i don't know exactly how busy this forum is or if i even posted in the correct area.

Since i didn't hear anything back i decided to disconnect the battery overnight. This morning i touched the battery terminals together for 15 seconds. Nothing happened which is what i figured.

The gauge IS working correctly now. Ive only let it get up to temperature sitting i haven't driven it yet. I'll update if there are any changes. Good heat. Ac still freezes me out. Everything now appears to be working. Hopefully the truck gods are smiling down on me today. In the future battery changes will be done overnight to ensure this doesn't happen again. Hopefully my issue helps someone else in need.

If it suddenly plummets back to the 160 mark I'll update and ask more questions.

Thanks
Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts