GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently purchased an 07 Silverado Ext. cab LT 2wd in (graphite blue?) and 5.3L engine. I sold my 2001 TA WS6 w/ 167,000 miles to get this truck. Never has a second of trouble with the TA, ran like a clock... but I wanted a truck this time around. I wanted the LS1 derived engine, so the Silverado and Sierra were at the very top of my list. When I found out that the 'old' body style was still being produced for 07 under the 'classic' name and the dealerships were willing to pretty much give them away... the deal was sealed on the GM trucks. I chose the Silverado over the Sierra because the Chevy had a slightly restyled front end vs. the Sierra's dated look. Under the hood looks pretty much identical to the TAs, aside from the placement of the alternator and a 'Vortec' cover. I am getting a little pinging under light acceleration with 87 octane, so I guess I'm going to have to increase it to 89 and see what happens. the TA's LS1 sounded like garbage with anything less than 93. The owner's manual says that the engine should run fine on 87... but apparently the author doesn't own anything with these engines! Also, I may ad that the stock speakers in this truck are HORRIBLE!! Definitely going to have to upgrade those very soon. Otherwise, I love the truck! Just wanted to introduce myself and hope to contribute here regularly. Anything you guys think I should know about this truck, just let me know! I only have experience with the engine. I've never owned a truck before... I came from an 87 Oldsmobile, 93 Honda Accord (was also a good car) 95 Firebird V6 and the 01 Trans Am.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Welcome aboard.

It sure does sound like you need a higher octane.

My 85 IROC said it would run fine on 87 to.

As long as you didn’t ask to much of it, it would.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome.

I'll try 89 and see if that'll keep her quiet. I was really hoping I could get away with 87 (it's only 2.10 a gallon here) but engine pinging is painful to my ears!

Anyone know if the rear end fluid needs to be changed at 7k miles like was recommended for the TA>? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Welcome! I know that my 2004 Z71 w/5.3L runs great on 87oct. I'm getting an avg of 17.5mpg, but have close to 70000 miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. It is possible that what I'm hearing might not be pinging afterall, but just normal racket of these engines (since the TA made the same exact noise) I only hear it if I'm cruising down the road with my foot just lightly on the pedal. I'll also hear it if I 'goose' the pedal real quick. I've been told that pinging is like the sound of a paint can when shaken... but this doesn't really sound like that. It's more of a rattle type sound. I actually just drove the truck tonight and I didn't hear it.

Retired2001, any problems with your truck in the 70k miles>?

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
Hmm. It is possible that what I'm hearing might not be pinging afterall, but just normal racket of these engines (since the TA made the same exact noise) I only hear it if I'm cruising down the road with my foot just lightly on the pedal. I'll also hear it if I 'goose' the pedal real quick. I've been told that pinging is like the sound of a paint can when shaken... but this doesn't really sound like that. It's more of a rattle type sound. I actually just drove the truck tonight and I didn't hear it.

Retired2001, any problems with your truck in the 70k miles>?
The only problem I've had is the "clunking" in the steering column at low speeds or when turning. This is a common problem that GM knows about and their answer is to lubricate it (which doesn't last, too long). There is a company with a "replacement shaft" for around $200, but as it isn't a safety item, I'll put up with the noise. I've heard rumors that there may be a "recall" in the works. You will get a similar noise when you take off, which is the splines in the output shaft of the tranny (same "lube it" answer from GM). Mine is still going strong, so good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I went all the way and ran a tank of 93 octane... engine is quiet as a church mouse so far. I ran the last bit of 87 out by stomping on the gas a bit... and I could especially hear the pinging at wide open throttle. Afterwards I listened carefully and the engine was definitely making strange noises, so I filled her to the top with Chevron 93. So far the engine sounds much better. I just don't understand why my LS engines will not run on regular octane without pinging. The truck especially, since it's so new (only 2500 miles now) and is smaller and less powerful than the LS1. Perhaps a lot of 87 octane users have pinging engines and just aren't aware of it... but pinging (as far as I've been told) will eventually destroy the engine. I need this engine to last me 200,000 miles+ so I definitely don't want that to happen!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Do you normally fill up at the same station regardless of octane rating? Do you know if you're filling up with Ethanol/Gas mix?

I won't pretend to know if the ethanol/gas mix will affect the lower octane rated fuels. But I'm wondering if anyone does know. People have already commented that they get worse mileage with the mix, instead of regular gasoline. So I'm wondering if that could be the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always fill up at the Chevron near my house... it's a fairly new station (Been there about 4 years) Asfar as I know, I'm using just regular unleaded gasoline. I don't know much of anything about the ethanol and gas mixes.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I believe ethanol raises the octane rating, but I’ve been known to be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts