GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silverado Crew Cab 4WD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it is a coincidence this code popped up or not. Here's the story. Power went out at the house so I was going to hook up my generator but I didn't have any gas. I tried siphoning some out of my tank but hit a block. I'm guessing there is an anti-siphoning block in there. Never did get any gas out. Next day I was driving on the highway and the p0449 coded appeared. I cleared it and it came back soon after.

My question is if there was any damage I might have done by putting a hose down the fill tube causing that code or is it just a coincidence? This is a 2008 Silverado.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i see this was posted 10 days ago , have you solved your problem ?
you might have wedged anti siphon in the filler tube, will it receive fuel ?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
i see this was posted 10 days ago , have you solved your problem ?
you might have wedged anti siphon in the filler tube, will it receive fuel ?
probably whacked the The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor this is the primary feedback sensor that the Powertrain Computer relies on for the leak test data each time the EVAP monitor is run ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not solved the problem yet. To answer Brian's question I don't recall putting gas in. I don't drive it much so I probably haven't been to the gas station in a while. I'll have to see if it will take gas.

J cat - forgive my lack of knowledge on the anatomy of the fuel system on this vehicle. So what you're saying is the feedback sensor is in the tank and not part of the evap purge canister which is what is throwing the code?. Is the fuel pressure sensor part of the fuel pump? Is it a separate part? Do I need to drop the tank?

Do you have a parts diagram of the fuel system?

Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that link. I found the diagram and of course it's on top of the fuel pump. When I scan the code 3 possibilities come up. EVAP purge solenoid valve, FTP sensor and EVAP cansiter vent solenoid. Since shoving a hose down the tank is most likely the cause and damaged the FTP I'll go with what j cat said and assume it's the fuel tank pressure sensor and go that route first. I'll report back in a few weeks after I drive around for a bit to drain the tank so I can drop it easier.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
because you put the hose in the tank then the code popped up that could be the problem . pressure sensor is very sensitive to any hits.. now did you put a soft hose in the tank ? put the hose in very slow easy ? ....
I have done this tank gas sucking a few times. that is why I am very careful on this process to not damage the fuel pump or the fuel tank level sensor..

can you tilt the truck bed to get access to the fuel pump .. crew cab maybe ..
dropping the fuel tank is a lot of PITA work ... I did the bed tilt on my 2000 ext cab LT truck .. had to replace the rear brake line .. cleaned up the fuel pump area on top of the tank ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts