GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the black "fin" on top of the 07' Chevy Silverado's? I have seen them on other luxury vehicles, but I only like the ones on the new Silverados. It's not a "shark fin" like what the BMW's have, but it's similar. I want to know what is it used for, and can I get one to use for AM/FM radio only on my 06' Silverado? I don't like my current black antenna stick, and would much rather have the cool "fin" antenna.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/no0b12345/?action=view&current=antenna.jpg
Thats what I'm talking about

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That's for onstar and XM radio.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats gay. Is there any way to use it for AM/FM radio only. And if I were to get XM radio, is it better than Sirius? I'll never have OnStar either, but I want that antenna cover :grrrrrr:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't think it will work for am/fm because I have an additional antenna for that. But yeah they do look pretty cool. To bad you don't have one :na: Just messin.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'm not sure, but someone probably makes a terrestial antenna that looks like that. I'll look around.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thanks finalday7 :rolleyes:
Wheres your separate antenna for the AM/FM radio? I only listen to one Rock radio station, and will never have OnStar, or XM radio. I just like the clean look of that "fin" antenna.

What about those antennas that are on the back windows of SUV's? Are those for the AM/FM radio? I'm looking for a cleaner looking AM/FM radio antenna!

·
Registered
258 Posts
The other antenna is still there as far as I know. I looked at a 2007 Trailblazer and it has the "fin" antenna and the old metal one as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure, but someone probably makes a terrestial antenna that looks like that. I'll look around.
Find anything? :neutral:

finalday7: Why have both antennas, XM radio gives you AM/FM radio channels. Why would you need both antennas up then?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Scosche offers an antenna that mounts inside the rear glass. Not a shark fin, but if the standard antenna isn't visually appealing to you.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just noticed that I have the two antennas.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about the antennas that are between the glass on the back windows in SUV's ect. Can I remove the black antenna stick in the front, and install the window antennas instead? Any links?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts