GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 yukon xl, 185k miles. I have owned it for the past 5 yrs and 100k miles, never a MIL for anything except over a year ago for a stuck fuel tank vent valve (promptly fixed) and nothing else since.

2 or 3 weeks ago I got a MIL (dont remember exact code) about the Throttle Position Sensor. I reset it and figured if it came back I would replace the TPS. It never came back so I had assumed it was a fluke.

Today, driving along fine, no MIL, no problem, and all the sudden MIL came on, traction control light came on, dash flashed messages "service stabilitrak," "service traction control," "traction control disabled," "engine power reduced." I lost all acceleration and the vehicle began to slow in the flow of traffic. I had to make my way across several lanes of 80mph traffic going 40mph by the time I got all the way over to the shoulder. When I came to a stop, the vehicle was shaking like a chihuahua and sounded about to keel over dead.

I connected my scanner, read and deleted the codes, and afterwards it ran just fine. These were my codes:

C0242 - PCM indicated TCS malfunction (History)
P2119 - Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range / Performance (History)
P2135 - Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation (History, MIL, Pending, Confirmed, Permanent)

At the risk of sounding like one of those "I think my engine knock is because the tire jockey over inflated my tires" people, might these two issues (TCS/TPS) be related? It just seems a little too coincidental that they came up at the same same time after so long without an issue. Can the TPS cause stabilitrak issues by itself? Or maybe there is one actual problem (loose/corroded plug, bad ground, etc.) That is manifesting as erroneous TPS/TCS issues?

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
We have a thread with 450 posts, that probably addresses your problem. You can find it using "service stabilitrak reduced power" , check titles only.
The fix is a new TPS, GM will do this for free under a service bulletin (the number is in that thread) and guarantee it for 10 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a thread with 450 posts, that probably addresses your problem. You can find it using "service stabilitrak reduced power" , check titles only.
The fix is a new TPS, GM will do this for free under a service bulletin (the number is in that thread) and guarantee it for 10 years.
Thank you for the information. I found the post you referred to and read through the first few pages but I might end up needing a whole weekend to finally get to the part where someone announces that there's a TSB on it. So I googled and this is what I found:

Does that look like the one you're referring to? I'm not 100% sure because it only mentions P2135, not P2119 or C0242.

I've never been fortunate enough to have a problem covered by a TSB (that I know of). I usually just end up fixing it myself. How do you go about getting a dealership to fix it? Drop it off and say "hey this needs work performed as per SB-10044229-8347" or do you have to let them troubleshoot and tell you if it's covered?

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
That is the procedure, I don't remember the TSB number; but it is in the big thread (I think I may have entered the TSB # in that thread).

And, yes that's what I did, just went to the service writer and told him about the 135 code.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you go about getting a dealership to fix it? Drop it off and say "hey this needs work performed as per SB-10044229-8347" or do you have to let them troubleshoot and tell you if it's covered?
In case that sounded like a retarded question, here's why I ask: I don't like taking my vehicles to dealerships and I rarely do. I don't know how it works. What I absolutely DON'T want is to drop it off with them, lose use of my vehicle for a week while they jack around with other people's rides, and then get told that it doesn't meet the criteria for a recall repair and I owe them for the 4hrs of labor it took them to reach that conclusion. It would be cheaper for me to just buy a new TPS and replace it myself.

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
The TPS is around $30 and looks easy to change; and I didn't see it in your TSB; but GM offers an extended warranty when they do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The TPS is around $30 and looks easy to change; and I didn't see it in your TSB; but GM offers an extended warranty when they do it.
I said TPS, I think we both did, but what I meant is the whole Throttle body. That's what's described in the TSB. Still a fairly easy replacement, but a bit more costly. $150. TSB mentions a reprogramming afterwards which gives me a bit of pause.

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
It is the TPS, the throttle position sensor, it monitors the position of the throttle pedal.
It is an actuator/motor that opens and close the butterfly in the throttle body.
The pictures in the TSB should the motor being removed from the throttle body. It is (was) around $25.
It's an alignment/resync bit of work.
Easy when done with the GM tool, but you pay for it.
I believe there are YouTube vids on backyard resync

·
Registered
13,826 Posts
Wow, I looked up the parts, they are a bit higher than when mine died.
The sensor is $86
The throttle body is $248
GM fixed mine for free; but I did check the prices at the time, about 6 years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was waiting for an opportunity to get my shortbus into the dealership to inquire about a repair but the stabilitrak alarms became more and more frequent to the point i couldn't go 5 miles without entering limp mode, and limp mode started turning into total shutdown. Engine shut right down on the highway several times. I hobbled over to autozone and bought a new throttle body, installed in the parking lot, and all was well. Cost me $210.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts