GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Yukon xl with oil leak... got it looked at and was told it could be oil pan/seal, rear main seal or gear box leak.

·
Registered
258 Posts
should be easy to differentiate engine oil from transfer case (or tranny) fluid.

Clean cardboard under the vehicle to catch the drips should sort that out rather quickly.

Do you need to top up engine oil frequently? Or ever?

Once you've done that, it'll be easier to steer you in the correct direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I think it’s the oil pan or rear seal imma have it looked at in a few days to get a second opinion because the first place couldn’t really tell because they said it was a lot of oil build up under the carriage and they could give me a sure answer and recommended the dealer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a dye put it in and man it came back manifold, rear main seal and oil pan lol.. the worst but I knew it’s part of owning these beauties....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I also have a slight rear main seal oil leak and it's dripping on my driveway.
I just can't justify replacing a $10 oil seal for labor to drop the transmission.
I just fabricated a sheet metal extension to the oil pan guard and zip tied an absorbent cloth.
No more oil drips on the driveway. LOL.?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My oil catch pan with absorbent pad has been on there for a while now. I just have to remove it when doing an oil change.

Ok, just knock it out then and have some fun doing the manifold, oil pan and rear seal yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts