GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just wondering what else there is to do to my truck to get better gas mileage. Currently I'm get 11.5 mpg (about 1/2 city 1/2 highway) and you can read all the stuff I done to my truck. I do all the little things like change my oil all the time and wash my truck to keep the aerodynamics and I'm still getting horrible mpg, any help is great thanks!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well with 35" M/T tires you shouldn't expect to get all that great mileage, but to improve it I would maybe clean your MAF, make sure your tires are properly inflated, remove any excess unnecessary weight from the truck, run all synthetic fluids, and just keep up with regular maintenance. Hope this helps! :glasses:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
One additional issue with the 35" tires is that if you haven't compensated for the increase in circumfrence when you do your MPG checks, then you're actually getting better mileage than what your calcs are showing you, because your vehicle has travelled farther than what your odometer is recording.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You can dimples on your truck! I just saw that mythbusters episode where they dimpled a car like a golf ball and got 3 more mpgs!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You can dimples on your truck! I just saw that mythbusters episode where they dimpled a car like a golf ball and got 3 more mpgs!
LOL, I've seen that same MB show twice Nathan, & I think they accidently skewed the results somehow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One additional issue with the 35" tires is that if you haven't compensated for the increase in circumfrence when you do your MPG checks, then you're actually getting better mileage than what your calcs are showing you, because your vehicle has travelled farther than what your odometer is recording.
oh ya I totally forgot to put that into my calculations, I'll have to try that out and see what the difference is. thanks a lot

·
Registered
527 Posts
Who knew I should have bought that hail damaged truck I was looking at lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Pulse and Glide in city driving, and shut the engine down at lights that you know are more than 1 minute.
Charlie
PS like Stephan said-correcting for tire height-maybe 10% or so- will add over 1 mpg.
Got grave doubts about any 3mpg increase just for dimpling it. If that actually decreased drag military jets, and commercial jets would be dimpled.So would race cars-they aren't.Decreased drag would mean more top speed better FE- don't see any Formula 1 dimpled vehicles.No land speed dimpled vehicles either.
Golf balls-spin-cars and planes don't(well not usually)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts