GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My 04 Silverado will ride up to and including 100MPH but it then stops increasing speed and slows down to about 80/90MPH before acceleration will resume.

Any way to remove this? Tachometer has no redline, and Im sure the engine can do more than 100, is this for Governmental safety regulations or does the truck itself not go faster than 100 due to mechanical safety issues?

Also, on the new'er or old'er body style trucks does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Most truck tires are at risk of failure due to centripetal acceleration at speeds over 100 MPH. That is the reason for the speed limiter.

In general truck tires have a speed rating of R (106 mph) or S (112 mph) with a few having T ratings (118 mph).

There are a handful of H rated (130 mph) tires in the lighter load ranges used on the 1500 trucks. These tires differ in internal construction in that they have the addition of a cap ply to keep the tire from flying apart at high speed. In general these are tires that are sold as passenger tires although you might find a few LT rated tires if you dig.

Most dealerships will reset the speed limiter for you if you have H rated tires.

Reactions: redvett

·
6,019 Posts
Most handheld programmers will do it along with a custom tune. But, I agree with the above post. Chances are that your tires are not rated for that speed. In my opinion there is no reason to drive that fast. An underrated tire blows out and you end up hitting a family head on, now innocent people have been killed because of someone thinking that they are cool cause they can drive 100 mph. Sorry for the rant but guys that want to drive fast on public roads piss me off. If you want to drive fast go find a track

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I never knew of this 100 MPH limit until I was trying to pass a guy on a new hywy just opened. road had the quiet type of paving . as I increased speed to pass the guy increased speed next thing I know this speed limiter kicks in which caused the truck to rapidly slow down ..when I saw the speedo I could not believe I was going that fast. only did that one time in 14 yrs of this trucks life . The fastest speed that is safe with these trucks is 80 MPH. with a perfect road they do ride good at 100MPH..perfect roads do not really exist up here..

tires and suspension are the reasons I found for this limit.

with my 96 Impala 100 MPH is no big deal 140 MPH it gets a little float.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most handheld programmers will do it along with a custom tune. But, I agree with the above post. Chances are that your tires are not rated for that speed. In my opinion there is no reason to drive that fast. An underrated tire blows out and you end up hitting a family head on, now innocent people have been killed because of someone thinking that they are cool cause they can drive 100 mph. Sorry for the rant but guys that want to drive fast on public roads piss me off. If you want to drive fast go find a track
If u want us to go slow pay for my truck, gas, insurance, everything. Otherwise who cares what think or what pisses u off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"thinking that they are cool cause they can drive 100 mph. Sorry for the rant but guys that want to drive fast on public roads piss me off. If you want to drive fast go find a track" why did go get tires are rated 420 + mph so when I'm cruising 115-120 I'm posing zeroThreat that said family. I'm not stupid and going to drive recklessly through heavy traffic . Also very much enjoy going out to Europe and driving over a hundred fifty on the Audubon
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,474 Posts
yawn
Another "new" member with their panties in a wad because they don't understand consequences, momentum, variables, aerodynamics, design standards, highway design, safe braking distances, minimum sight distances, etc... Or looking to stir the pot. I'm bored. I'll bite.

This is a thread for pickup trucks on public roads, typically in North America. If you bought speed rated tires for a truck you aren't putting on a track, you did it because you wanted to and make poor financial decisions. (Road laws haven't changed much in the States over the years. You knew what you were doing.) Or maybe you have disposable income. Either way, your choice. I don't particularly care.

Though you feel you pose "zero threat" to that family, you pose a significantly higher threat than everyone else on the road because of your accelerated speeds. The Autobahn has different rules for driving than the roads here. Tractor trailers are prohibited, minimum speeds are higher, etc. They also have different vehicle standards because of this. American roads are not designed the same. They are not apples to apples.

By exceeding the speed limit, you introduce a variable into the driving flow not easily accounted for by other drivers. A quick glance into the rear view to make a lane change is insufficient when someone comes screaming up behind you. However, if this screaming speed isn't the norm, the quick glance is what happens, resulting in a horrific rear end collision. You may be a super star on a track, but EVERYONE on the track is going the same general speed. In this case, you are a threat to the poor family because of your actions.

Roadways are designed with minimum safe stopping distance in mind. These distances are associated with the design (posted) speed of the roadway, not the speed of the goobers on it. You become a hazard to other drivers when exceeding the speed limit, thereby being unable to stop in the available clear site (edit: sight) distances built into the highway. Hills, bridges, turns, structures, signs, etc. are all considered in these calculations.

The only thing you have actually mentioned which gives you "credible" speed capabilities in whatever vehicle is your tires...I bet you have stock brakes. They're going to fail in an emergency stopping situation at these high speeds due to heat. You probably have not updated the steering. This is going to introduce float and slop, thereby decreasing your ability to safely navigate at high speeds.

Look, I get the need for speed. But in controlled environments with the proper criteria. On the road is not the right place.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If u want us to go slow pay for my truck, gas, insurance, everything. Otherwise who cares what think or what pisses u off.
THANK YOU 🙏🏼. I’ve been reading these comments thinking WTF. The whole TRUCK state of Texas is 85 MPH speed limit wiith trucks cruising at 95 no problem. I’ll drive whatever speed I want when I want and I’m the one that will make it home, die, or go to jail or the hospital and that’s my freedom of choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yawn
Another "new" member with their panties in a wad because they don't understand consequences, momentum, variables, aerodynamics, design standards, highway design, safe braking distances, minimum sight distances, etc... Or looking to stir the pot. I'm bored. I'll bite.

This is a thread for pickup trucks on public roads, typically in North America. If you bought speed rated tires for a truck you aren't putting on a track, you did it because you wanted to and make poor financial decisions. (Road laws haven't changed much in the States over the years. You knew what you were doing.) Or maybe you have disposable income. Either way, your choice. I don't particularly care.

Though you feel you pose "zero threat" to that family, you pose a significantly higher threat than everyone else on the road because of your accelerated speeds. The Autobahn has different rules for driving than the roads here. Tractor trailers are prohibited, minimum speeds are higher, etc. They also have different vehicle standards because of this. American roads are not designed the same. They are not apples to apples.

By exceeding the speed limit, you introduce a variable into the driving flow not easily accounted for by other drivers. A quick glance into the rear view to make a lane change is insufficient when someone comes screaming up behind you. However, if this screaming speed isn't the norm, the quick glance is what happens, resulting in a horrific rear end collision. You may be a super star on a track, but EVERYONE on the track is going the same general speed. In this case, you are a threat to the poor family because of your actions.

Roadways are designed with minimum safe stopping distance in mind. These distances are associated with the design (posted) speed of the roadway, not the speed of the goobers on it. You become a hazard to other drivers when exceeding the speed limit, thereby being unable to stop in the available clear site (edit: sight) distances built into the highway. Hills, bridges, turns, structures, signs, etc. are all considered in these calculations.

The only thing you have actually mentioned which gives you "credible" speed capabilities in whatever vehicle is your tires...I bet you have stock brakes. They're going to fail in an emergency stopping situation at these high speeds due to heat. You probably have not updated the steering. This is going to introduce float and slop, thereby decreasing your ability to safely navigate at high speeds.

Look, I get the need for speed. But in controlled environments with the proper criteria. On the road is not the right place.

Stay safe.
That’s crap. Yes they would fail do to heat if you are racing around using your brakes like crazy. He’s talking about highway driving only and everyone’s acting like nuns. A lot of US highways are 80 and Texas 85. Actual data from the highway safety commission proves that driving at those speeds on highways reduces accidents. Go figure. Tires are rated well below blow point also for litigation/safety/ reasons. Unless you’re using crappy old tires that don’t have the proper psi you won’t have a blowout, I worked 21 years tier 2 safety coordinator Goodyear tires. The government sets underutilized parameters strictly for safety reasons because people can’t be trusted to not drive with under inflated, cracked, worn tires.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
First off, this thread was started back in 2014. So as for the OP and answering his question, well IDK if He is still active. Driving reckless, and driving fast can, and should be 2 different things. I do tend to drive fast, but not reckless. I am all good, untill some idiot, pulls out infront of me forcing me to brake hard, the drives 10,15 or even 20 MPH under the speed limit. That PISSES ME OFF!!!! Most of the time, I drive with the flow of traffic. When I worked offshore, 4 hour drives to a Helaport- boat dock was the norm, and most of the time, they are way in the middle of no where. This was when I would wind up the truck, and let Her fly. Not always, but from time to time. The fastest I have ever had the truck up to is IDK but best guess was around 140 MPH. I was in the middle of no where at the time with NO other traffic ant where around. At the time I still had the 100 MPH speedo. I pegged it, at about 4000 RPM, maybe, and I held it there till I hit 5300 RPMs in OD. Once I let off the gas, it took a long time for the speedo needle to move off of 100 and start reading again. If anyone is doing this in traffic, then yes they are an idiot. It took about 10 mins before I saw another vehicle. The next time I drove well over 100 MPH, my oldest son just shot himself. I had my flashers on, and was blowing my horn the whole way. If you see anyone driving fast, with there flashers on, and blowing there horn, please get out of there way. You dont know what there story is. I was hoping I could save my son, I could not. There was nothing I could do. He was dead as soon as he pulled the trigger. Now back to the original question, you have to program the speed limiter to a higher setting, or have it done for you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
THANK YOU 🙏🏼. I’ve been reading these comments thinking WTF. The whole TRUCK state of Texas is 85 MPH speed limit wiith trucks cruising at 95 no problem. I’ll drive whatever speed I want when I want and I’m the one that will make it home, die, or go to jail or the hospital and that’s my freedom of choice.
Of course the issue is that you are not on the road alone..................

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
I am sick of the bullshit attitude that freedom of choice gives people the right to disregard the rights of others.
People have the right to feel safe while driving on the highways; your freedom of choice does not give you the right to break laws and endanger the well being of others.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
these trucks are not good for 100MPH speed.. lousy control if the texas wind blows LOL....
ya I use my 1996 IMPALA ... I drive it sometimes 150 MPH great control , and the 2000 silverado truck I own with higher speeds 80-90 MPH not good control...

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
these trucks are not good for 100MPH speed.. lousy control if the texas wind blows LOL....
ya I use my 1996 IMPALA ... I drive it sometimes 150 MPH great control , and the 2000 silverado truck I own with higher speeds 80-90 MPH not good control...
Im not sure about the GMT 800s, 900s or newer, but the 400s were built in a wind tunnel. They handle high speeds very well. Again, as I stated before, this should NOT be done in traffic. Mine is smooth as silk at any speed. The faster, the better. It has no problems well over 100 MPH. Again like I said, DONT DO THAT IN TRAFFIC.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Im not sure about the GMT 800s, 900s or newer, but the 400s were built in a wind tunnel. They handle high speeds very well. Again, as I stated before, this should NOT be done in traffic. Mine is smooth as silk at any speed. The faster, the better. It has no problems well over 100 MPH. Again like I said, DONT DO THAT IN TRAFFIC.
ya my 96 Impala is like a bullet .. low level has a solid frame does not float .. very stable .. but I do not drive it in rain or snow ..... dangerous ...If I drive it in the rain sometimes I have to slowly put the gas pedal down ...
today the snow flies and my 2000 silverado still working great in the snow .LT 4X4..

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
ya my 96 Impala is like a bullet .. low level has a solid frame does not float .. very stable .. but I do not drive it in rain or snow ..... dangerous ...If I drive it in the rain sometimes I have to slowly put the gas pedal down ...
today the snow flies and my 2000 silverado still working great in the snow .LT 4X4..
It almost never snows here, but it does rain a lot. I have the same issues with my truck. I drive careful on wet roads. After I dropped the back 2 inches, and added about 200 LBS. of steel plates around the receiver hitch, that helped a lot, but theres no way I can get on it at all on wet roads. Ive been saying for a long time, Im going to put a locker ( limited slip) in the rear end. Im leaning towards an Eaton truetrac. One day I will. Mean while, I just take it easy when it rains.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts